Question: 16 yold-constant involuntary vomiting after eating-no nausea

serenidade - Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:18 am

Hello, I am 16 years old. I am a female, and I suffered anorexia nervosa for about 2 years until I sought help. I have been in recovery for several months now and am taking 40 mg of sarafem, or fluoxetine hydrochloride (prozac), which does help significantly. I only vomited a few times a few weeks during recovery. Now, for a few months, every time I eat I vomit shortly after. Consumption of soft, creamy, milky substances always triggers this, as does any fluid. I experience no nausea. I also suffer acid reflux as I also did as a child. Acid reflux medications do not seem to help (aciplex, zantac, tums, etc). Bread is the only thing that does not seem to completely come back up. I was referring to this as regurgitation, but as time progresses, it becomes worse and occurs every time I eat. I also feel that I am inducing it because I anticipate it and am have become skilled at pushing it up, even though it comes by itself. No doctor has been able to help me as of yet. What is wrong with my digestive tract??

Bree
 underthesun10185 - Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:49 pm

Serinidade,
I am a 20 year old female and I'm pretty sure I can help you. Though I have a FEW differences such as I had a yellow tongue along with it and lots of stomach pain, the rest I am right there with you. My "vomiting" got so intense I had to go nearly a year without any food or liquid. It was only by the grace of God that I survived, I lost a lot of weight. I don't know how intense yours gets, but for me, liquids were the worst, especially water, but I learned that the only thing I could survive off of were Pedialyte Freezer Pops found in the grocery store in the baby section. Anyway, I had every single test in the world done and even had to travel across the state to go to Shands, a well known hospital. Ask your doctor for a test called Esophageal Manometry. It's a uncomfortable test, but well worth it. That is how they finally found my problem. The problem was that the muscles in my the upper part of my stomach were not functioning therefore not keeping the food down. I believe there is some medicine that can fix it but I ended up having to have surgery because mine was too severe. I hope this is helpful, I know how horrible it is. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. This sounds so much like what I went through. Good luck. mak26@students.uwf.edu
 angel2close - Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:00 am

Serenidade,
You say that you suffered from anorexia nervosa until you sought help. Did you also suffer from bullemia? I am certain that since you did seek help, that you know that the anorexia and /or bullemia follows you for life. You are never cured, only recovering.
I am glad that the medications are helping you, but you sound as if you are describing the actions of a very accomplished bullemic. Barring this, perhaps you have a hiatal hernia. Many things can occur to our digestive tracts when we disturb them so violently with anorexia nervosa and bullemia.
One has to assume that you are being closely followed by your physicians after a two year hx of anorexia. Have they not been able to shed any light on this subject or have you not brought it up to them? If you have not, you need to. Good Luck!

|