Question: Severe Indigestion with mild back discomfort

cre813 - Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:17 am

For several years now I have the episodes of upper abdominal pain. It is a bloating sensation that gets worse until I begin to feel some discomfort in the middle of my back. Initially, the pain would awaken me in the middle of the night, would grow worse and then eventually subside after several hours. More recently, I’ve begun to start to feel some discomfort several hours after eating dinner. The discomfort (a feeling of severe bloating) grows until, once again, I begin feeling a discomfort in the middle of my back. I’ve discussed my symptoms with my doctor on several occasions (one time after a trip to the ER where the checked for heart and spleen issues) and who ultimately made a diagnosis of IBS. He prescribed Bentyl but it only seems to work when it is taken before an onset and the episode is not severe. There does seem to be a correlation between the episode and constipation but from what I’ve read about IBS my symptoms don’t seem to line up. The frequency of these episode has increased as have their duration though the intensity of the pain is not as severe as they were in the early days. I am looking for some additional thoughts, considerations and, ultimately, remedies.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:10 pm

User avatar Dear cre813,

IBS is more likely to be the cause of your symptoms.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.
The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint of:
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis and to differentiate them from other Inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis that give similar picture.

These tests include Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be requested for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.

cre813 - Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:00 pm

Dr. Mahmoud,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post.

Also accept my apologies as I should have closed this thread.

I was diagnosed with severe Cholecystitis in early December and, as a result, had my gall bladder removed.

Best,
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:23 pm

User avatar Dear cre813,

Thank you for updating us with this information.

This shows that when IBS is suspected, exclusion of other GI problems that give similar clinical picture should be done first.

Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis and to differentiate them from other Inflammatory bowel diseases and other GI problems like Gall bladder diseases as in your condition (since they give similar clinical picture).

These tests include:
Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy
Abdominal US or Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.

Thank you for using our website:
http://www.doctorslounge.com

|