News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Do I have GERD? Please advise

HighMount - Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Hi, I'm 35, I'm in fantastic shape and have never had a problem with heartburn at all. I've never experience "backwash" into my throat either, or frankly most of the symptoms of acid reflux. however, about 5 days ago it became very difficult to swallow because it felt like I was swallowing fire. I couldn't eat and was getting dehydrated and fatigued. My med insurance doesn't start until Dec 1 so I had to go to the ER. They did chest, abdomen sonogram etc and said they couldn't find anything and "suspected" gerd and prescribedme Nexium at $160/bottle(!!!!!). So I've been taking that for a week and, no change, although I'm eating a tiny bit now not because I"ve improved but rather beause I've "learned" to eat small amounts by washing with water etc.

After researching a bit on the internet it almost sounds more like I have an ulcer, because it hurts as it's going down, then for maybe a minute, and it basically stops; almost like as food or water (which does hurt, just not as much as food) is "rubbing" something on the way down.

I'm in a lot of pain, and I'm living on "Boost" type drinks, and very tiny bites of washed-down food. I'm not sure if I should wait until next Thu when my ins starts again or go back to the ER on the idea that I could be making it worse by trying to wait.

Any thoughts? I'm in hell, thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:24 am

User avatar Hi HighMount,
Did they not advise you to return if symptoms did not improve? You really need evaluated by a Gastroenterologist. GERD may cause ulcerations in the esophagus and if your symptoms remain as bad as they were previously you need re-evaluated.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here