News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Rectum question

Jimmyg - Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:47 pm

I have been having this rectum discomfort for about 7 months now - theres no discharge, no fever, its just annoying.. it seems like its always there, somedays more so than others, it feels like its right at the rectum not deep inside.. if i so much as spread my cheeks apart i can feel it.. what could the cause of this be??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:06 pm

User avatar Dear Jimmyg,

Causes of discomfort feeling in the rectum could be due to:

- Internal hemorrhoids are common causes of pain felt in the rectal area. It is usually the result of chronic constipation due to straining while having a bowel movement.
Sometimes patients report blood on their toilet papers or mixed with stool.
It can be diagnosed by digital rectal examination or flexible sigmoidoscopy.

- Anal fissure gives similar picture

- Proctitis which is due inflammation in the rectum sigmoidoscopy is used in the diagnosis.

- Prostatitis; inflammation or infection of the prostate, urinary symptoms are usually present.

- Inflammatory bowel disease, there is also diarrhea and other GI symptoms; colonoscopy help in the diagnosis.

Complete history, physical examination and investigations are the only way to reach proper diagnosis and treatment. I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him this information.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here