News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: painful defecation, stomach sinking in & other weird thi

Junebug - Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:52 am

I have a history of IBS - the symptoms I have now aren't the same as the past. I have a sharp pain, lower left quadrant, at the beginning of defecation, sometimes but not always. Also, when I have IBS flare-ups, I used to just have spasms. Now, though, my stomach swells up where my actual stomach would be, and at the same time, the rest of my belly area sinks completely in. You can visually see it when this happens.. The only thing that relieves it - is laying down on my back. I am 28 years old otherwise generally healthy besides anxiety. Any idea to what is going on?
Also on a side note - as a young naive teenager- I suffered from depression...one night as a stupid attempt of desperation- I drunk rubbing alcohol ( a bottle). I never received any care after that stupid attempt...in your opinion - what long term damage can that cause if any?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:49 pm

User avatar Dear Junebug,

This is probably due to excess gases produced in the intestine that make you feel full, bloated and in pain.

Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS.

The disease is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition

Stress and anxiety increase the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

--The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract like GERD, Gastritis , Gall bladder diseases and Inflammatory bowel diseases.

Drinking too much alcohol causes mainly liver, and gastric problems, Abdominal US and blood tests can help in diagnosis.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to Followol up with your doctor.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here