Question: Constant burping

dancer84 - Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:07 am

Hi. I'm 21 years old. I have been having this problem of constant burping, especially after I drink water or after meal. I am worried because I burp so regularly that people are starting to get irritated with me. Sometimes I can control myself but most of the time i can't. Also, with this constant burping comes the feeling of wanting to vomit and a headache. Sometimes it makes me feel really sick and gives me a stomache. Can you tell me what is my problem? Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:53 pm

User avatar Dear dancer84,,

Gas and burping are not considered a health problem although they cause many disturbance especially when you are in public.

These conditions are usually a result of:
Excess swallowed air,
eating certain types of food that elaborate a lot of gases while digested or drinking carbonated beverages.

Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance) are also a common causes of gas.

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.

Iif the condition is associated with either or alternating constipation and diarrhea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome is to be considered especially if the symptoms are persistent. Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea

Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
The disease can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet and avoiding stress.

Take an appointment to visit your doctor, for examination and better evaluation.

Best regards

|