Question: constipation/narrow stool

creaturekind - Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:05 am

Hello!
recently, actually on thanksgiving day, i woke up at 4am feeling so sick to my stomach, i couldn't stand it. so i went to the bathroom and vomited, i layed back down for about an hour and then vomited again. i attributed this to the flu, because by 10am i was done throwing up. i still felt horrible. if i stayed lying down i was fine, but as soon as i stood up and walked i felt nauseous again.

i had one normal bowel movement this day.
the next day, nothing.
saturday, i tried to go and did just a small amount but my stool was so narrow, like the width of a pencil.

sunday i still didn't really have a bowel movement.

i'm not very regular, so i wasn't concerned.
yesterday i felt so full, i drank some citrate of magnesia, and had yellowish diahrrea.

just now i went to the bathroom and my stool (what little there was) was even narrower than it was on saturday and piece of it was actually kind of flat.

my bowel movements have always been sort of a mystery to me, always different, so i haven't called the doctor or anything.

should i be concerned?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:33 pm

User avatar Dear creaturekind,

Your symptoms are suggestive of IBS.

The disease is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

--The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract like GERD, Gastritis , Gall bladder diseases and Inflammatory bowel diseases.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to Follow up with your doctor.

|