News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: PLEASE HELP WORRIED upper left abdominal pain

angelic j - Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:00 pm

ikeep getting pain in the upper left part of my abdomin. it also becomes swollen and painful to touch. along with this i have lower back pain, pain between my shoulder blades, my urine is very dark but no blood, my feces is yellowand almost white. i have a poor appetite and i am very tired.
i also have nausea and vomiting, and i keep itching all over. the abdominal and back pain has been happening on and off for 12 months but the urine and feces has only started in the last seven days. please can someone help im very worried about this. :?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:53 pm

User avatar Dear angelic j,

First of all I advise you to contact your doctor immediately, these symptoms are critical and may be due to one of the following causes:
- Pancreatitis
Symptoms of pancreatitis include::
Pain in the upper abdomen that may radiate to the back
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Abdominal distension and tenderness
Jaundice: a yellowish coloration of the skin, whitish stool, dark urine, itching.

Hepatitis either Viral or Cholestatic hepatitis, although the pain is usually felt in the Right upper abdomen.
Obstruction of the common bile duct causes both disorders and Itching is prominent in such cases.

These conditions are critical and necessitate immediate medical management.

Investigations include:
Serum amylase levels (Amylase P) is specific to pancreatic problem. Levels of 3 times higher than normal makes the diagnosis of acute pancreatitis more likely.
Lipase levels also are elevated.
Liver function tests should be done.
Hepatitis markers.
CT scan is of choice in the diagnosis of acute pancreatitis.

Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here