News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pressure under ribs stomach too full

joann9298 - Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:06 am

I have been told I have IBS and I have got to the point were I don't eat butbut once a day and maybe some sweets. I have been having bloating, stomach gets hard and I feel alot of pressure under my ribs mainly on my left side. What can be causing this pain and pressure?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:30 pm

User avatar Dear joann9298,

This is probably due to excess gases produced in the intestine that make you feel full, bloated and in pain.

Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS.

The disease is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

--The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract like GERD, Gastritis , Gall bladder diseases and Inflammatory bowel diseases.

-Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance) are also a common causes of gas.

- Sometimes non GI causes results in similar clinical picture as in Gynaecological problems e.g. PCOS

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to Follow up with your doctor.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here