Question: nausea and pain three weeks after gallbladder removed

skipp - Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:29 pm

my 18 year old daughter had mono from april to october- in october her stomach was burning and hurting she ahd ct scans, hita scan, sonogram and xrays... and fianlly pain concentrated at gallbladder the er doc called in the surgeon whe aske dher symptoms- pain in upper right quadrant, radiating to back and shoulder balde, he pushde on the gb and pain shot through her he said it was the gallbladder and it was removed through laproscopic surgery, they also scoped everything to be sure ti was all okay the gallbladder had formed adhesions to the liver and was cauterized off,and small stones were in the duct which were washed out with saline, there were also small stones in the gb, they did something to check for backwash of stones, she was put on vicodin 500/50 for two weeks and phenergan- she never has taken medication even motrin makes her sleepy-- so the day after the vicodin stopped she had nausea, her primary doc said it was withdrawals and it would stop in two weeks, the surgeon said no way, ordered an upper gi and small intestine dump which was normal, the gi doc says to wait this out for two weeks with zelnorm, zofran and nexium -phenergan didnt' relieve the nausea- the surgeon has scheduled a gastric emptying but the upper gi made her sick with diarreah and cramps which they said was normal from the three meds used. she has spells which are worse, burning and pain in the gallbladder area as well as the ab around and under the navel, its like it comes in waves-when it does she is very tired and belches a lot, however the nausea seems to stay mildly always.. she is so tired of being sick, I have asked the docs about complicatiosn from the surgery they say it is too far out- she and i are terrified that soemthing is wrong and waiting is only making it worse, although the symptoms don't seem to get worse, when we call the doc usually after hours- they say go to the er and the er says it is not life threatening... then they are rude becuase we are back up there but that is what the doctors office says to do- we have been 15 times in two months, she is suppose to start college in January and cannot udner these circumstances which then voids out her insurance on her birthday in Feb... and our lieves are falling apart from all the doctor bills visits and inability to even work... i cannot stand the thought of telling her she is okay and not to worry then maybe to find out waiting has doen irreversible damage... please help- she is so depressed now and scared and i am right there with her... and there seems to be no answers- the docs are saying wait and when I ask are they sure its safe to wait they will not give a definite answer- but say she is not showing signs of anything of immediate concern- and want to wait three weeks with the current meds hoping it will settle things down- but the other doc wants to go ahead with the gastric emptying????? i think I am haivng a nervous breakdown and really need help--thanks for any help
 shannonv33 - Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:11 pm

Hello I am not trying to upset you more but I have had pain also sence they took my gallbladder out. At first they told me it was normal and to give it time.....after months they finally believed me. So far Ive been through two cat scans, EDG scope, and a MRCP done this past monday. Getting a GI doctor to help has been really hard, eirther they are quick to cut again or just want to give me pills which I don't want to take for the rest of my life. I want to know whats causing it and get it fixed. I have become very depressed waiting on each test to come back and wondering if its going to show anything. One GI did mention sphincter of oddi, and also the pancreas.....but he didnt seem to sure of him self when talking about doing a ERCP to fix it so I changed doctors. I have joined a group to help me along the way, people there have also had there gallbladders taken out and in return have gotten sicker. Look up this sphinncter of oddi on the computer or biliary dyskisia....see if it sounds like your daughter. It seems some people get this after gallbladder surery and also pancreatitis. If you want to chat just post back and I can give you my email or the group name I am on. Shannon
 JFV - Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:40 pm

Three months ago I had my gall bladder removed. Since then I have been worse than before the surgery. After the surgery I ended being diagnosed with C-Dif. I was put on antibiotics and after three weeks of suffering I was diagnosed that the condition had been eradicated. Since then whenever I eat I end up with cramps, rumbling stomach and the sudden urge to relieve myself. The urge to go to the restroom can last for hours into the evening. Each time I relieve myself my rectum burns intensly. I have been prescribed medicine for gall bladder dumping but it doesn't help. In addition, each time I have an attack my feet begin to ache and throb. Specifically around my ankles and big toe. As soon as the rectum pain subsides and the stomach settle down, the problems in my feet deminishes. The pain in my rectum can be unberrable and is debilitating.

Another symptom I am experiencing is cramping followed by either gas or the urge to relieve myself while I'm sitting or sleeping on my side. If I lay flat on my back it's not as bad. As soon as I turn to my side the symptoms begin. Riding in a car also starts the symptoms.

I have had several tests done including Barium x rays for the small intestine, cat scans and various stool analysis. All results come out normal.

What is the potential cause of my affliction and is there something that can 1) Reduce or manage the attacks, the associated pain in my feet and being able to sleep through the night. I haven't slept through the night since the surgery and at a minimum wake up once or twice a night to relieve myself.

My doctors are baffled and haven't found anything to help.
 Catherine Fergerson - Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:32 pm

I have also expierenced weird symptoms and pain. My gallbladder has been out for 2 and a half months. I still get nausous a lot and a lot of pain like short attacks. I used to have really bad attacks that lasted 8-12 hours. Now I have about 3 a week that last about 30-1hour. I had hoped it would stop but it has not. I also expierence pain whenever trying to sleep on that side, and pain for no reason when Im doing daily tasks. Its sharp and fast but usually my upper right side followed by back pain and sudden pain in my belly button where the inscion is. I have tried to get some answers, and hopefully I will. I have seen the doctor since about this, and he seems to think that either there is a stone in the liver, or the bile duct. I hope this will all end soon, because this frightens me terribly. Good luck to the rest of you as well, I know this pain is bad.

|