News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: indigestion with hunger

LB - Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Lately, I have been having a frequent occurance of having indigestion about the same time I start noticing hunger signs. If I eat right away, and consume enough food to feel full, I'm usually OK. However, if I wait too long, it won't matter if I eat or not, the indigestion will continue and get more severe for several hours. While I am fairly sure that I am suffering from fibromyalgia, (and have now begun a holistic remedy plan) I am not yet ready to assume that this specific indigestion problem is related to the fibromyalga, as I have had this same indigestion problem many years ago, before the fibromyalgia was present.

Thank you!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:47 pm

User avatar Dear LB,

Gastritis is more likely to be the cause of your complaint.
Gastritis is an inflammatory disorder affecting the gastric mucosa.
Causes include:
- Reflux gastritis: due to exposure to the irritant secretions of the gall bladder and pancreas.
- Infectious gastritis: commonest is H. pylori.
- Chemical irritants: like NSAIDs.

Peptic ulcer disease (PUD) is an open sore in the mucosa of the stomach or duodenum.

Patients usually present with burning upper abdominal pain that increases when the stomach is empty and relieved by antacids, vomiting or eating.

Other symptoms include:
Nausea
Vomiting
Loss of appetite
Belching or bloating
A feeling of fullness in your upper abdomen after eating
Weight loss

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to be checked by your doctor.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here