Question: Feedback on colonoscopy

ecoman - Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:33 am

had a colonoscopy a few days ago to discover why I had occasinal burgandy coloured blood (with a little mucus) in my stool intermittently, and with intermittent soft yellow stoolsand dark brown 'normal stools'

The doctor who performed the scope sai the result was excellent, with no signs of infflamation in my colon, no problems at the upper/lower intestinal junction valve, no polyps etc.

I did ask why I was then getting the occasinal blood in the stools (I previously had an endoscope with clear results) but cant remember the reply....I was still a little hazy due the the relaxant I was given.

Can you confirm that it may just happen occasionally due to a certaintype of food intake,.

Thanks you

NB to all of those who are about to go through a colonoscpe and like me are/were worried, don't! It wasnt painful, embarresing or distressing at all, you have nothing to worry about.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:28 pm

User avatar Dear ecoman,

Causes of fresh blood in stool include:

- Hemorrhoids or piles, they represent the most common cause of lower GI bleeding, and are easy to be diagnosed by clinical examination. Thus they are excluded in your situation.

- Inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis) . The results of the colonoscopic examination was negative for these causes.

However, Crohn's disease can occur anywhere in the digestive tract, so examination of the small intestine is very important for exclusion of Crohn's disease. A Barium follow through can help investigate the small intestine with a Small bowel X-ray.

Infections include a variety of parasites and protozoa e. g. Entamoeba histolytica and Salmonella.

Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Samples are collected before receiving any medication and should be repeated for 3 times to find the possible organism causing the infection.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS is another possible cause,
Commonly people who have IBS complain off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus or less commonly blood containing stools.

The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract. The diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

Other diseases that can give similar pictures to IBS and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and Peptic ulcer. But Blood in stools is usually occult and not fresh red.

- Polyps, diverticulosis and Colon cancer. Colonoscopy is of choice in the diagnosis of these cases, so their contribution in your complaint is excluded.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to be on follow up with your doctor and to update him with your symptoms.

|