News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Attacks 1 yr. after gallbladder surgery

bunnyrabbit - Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:45 pm

I had my gallbladder out 10-15-2004 and within the last month I have had 3 attacks similiar to the one's I used to have. I had my first attack April of 2004 when I was 25 weeks pregnant. The first attack after having my gallbladder out was Thanksgiving 2005. I went to the dr. last week and they did an xray of my abdomen and found I was all backed up so for that he told me to start taking fiber and that has been going fine. But I still occasionally have a steady tender abdomen just below my ribcage and once in awhile my right side where my scars are from the gallbladder surgery will ache. The doctor mentioned there is a possibility that because my stones were like sand there might be some sludge left over in some ducts that remain. I don't find that eating anything in particular makes me have an attack or upsets my stomach because for the last week I have been eating pretty bland and watching how much I eat. I typically snack when I'm not hungry but I am trying not to do that anymore. I'm trying to eat a snack in the mid morning and mid afternoon so that I don't eat a lot during meals and drinking lots of water. I have an appointment the 3rd of January to dicuss things further with my doctor but I am wondering if anyone on here might have some suggestions as to what this might be. I do have a history of acid reflux and indigestion/heartburn. I'm not on any prescriptions but have had these in the past. The doctor mentioned doing a pipida scan to see if there is any sludge which I am almost ready to see. I know worrying doesn't help but I am tired of feeling icky.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:11 pm

User avatar Dear bunnyrabbit,

Patients with symptoms after cholecystectomy similar to cholecystitis or gall bladder disease are known to have
postcholecystectomy syndrome (PCS).

PCS is caused by alterations in bile flow as a result of removal of the gallbladder. The inappropriate bile flow leads to esophagitis and gastritis and or in others, diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain.
Causes include:
Residual or reformed gallbladder
Stump cholelithiasis
Sphincter of Oddi dyskinesia, spasm, or hypertrophy
Sphincter of Oddi stricture

Investigations include:
Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) is used to check for esophagitis, including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and for direct visualization of the ampulla of Vater.
An abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the liver, biliary tract, pancreas,

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here