Question: Extreme bloating/nausea with NO pain, for one month

KillingTime - Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:55 pm

This past month i've been experiencing a lot of bloating and a general feeling of fullness (despite barely eating) along with nausea on and off (several times I could tell it was due to the bloating, I would be heaving for about an hour, feel like I was going to vomit and then I would belch and feel much better)
For a week I was only eating a can of soup per day, the symptoms have now decreased allowing me to eat a bit more food but I'm still eating a lot less than I normally do.

Yesterday I started feeling a tenderness in my far right side of my abdomen, pretty far away from the stomach area. Between my obliques and my ribcage & lat muscle. It wasn't painful but when I pressed down on it it felt a bit tender/sore.... by now (a day later) the soreness seems to have gone down a bit, earlier today I couldn't even find it anymore, it's very mild now.
Aside from this ive had absolutely no pain the entire month.

Two weeks ago I did a bloodtest along with an abdominal ultrasound, no problems showed up which is what really threw me off... I was expecting gallstones or appendicitis but now I'm really stumped.
Could I have H. Pylori, some sort of bacteria or something else in my stomach or intestines? Is it possible for appendicitis or gallstones to somehow not show up in the ultrasound? Although, if I had either of those shouldn't I be in a good deal of pain?

Any input would be appreciated
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:44 pm

User avatar Dear KillingTime,

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.

The common causes of excess gas are

Irritable bowel syndrome
Eating certain types of food that are not easily digested.
Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance).

Gall bladder diseases can cause similar symptoms, however the pain and dyspepsia is related to fatty meals, and the pain is felt in the right upper quadrant.

Infections with H. Pylori causes dyspepsia and gastritis, the diagnosis is obtained by specific tests and upper endoscopy .

If all causes are excluded then,You probably experience a form of IBS.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.
The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complain of
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super-added infectious GI attack will worsen the symptoms.

Although the diagnosis of IBS is primarily based on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis. These tests include
Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be requested for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.

Zelfida - Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Make sure you aren't unknowingly tensing your lower abdominal muscles. Throughout the day, relax your lower muscles as if you are about to have a bowel movement. You'll notice if they are tense or not. Tensing muscles in the abdomen (lower, middle or upper) can cause symptoms of IBS such as bloating, nausea, loose stools and constipation.

|