Question: Pain on the right side under rib cage

confused03 - Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:17 pm

I am a 30 year old female and I have been expierencing severe pain on the right side under the rib cage. I have had numerous tests done and they have all come back as normal for gallbladder function and no blockages. My Gastrointerologist suggested I have my gallbladder remove to see if that is the problem or not so I went to see a Surgeon and he did a chest xray, echocardiogram, hida scan with cck, and h pylori test and thet all came back normal as well. I feel like I am going crazy and that I am just imagining this pain but I;m not. The pain I have is very real. It comes anytime during the day and can last for hours. I start to run a temp anywhere between 100.0-101.2 when the pain begins and then it goes away when the pain subsides. HELP!!! :( [/b]
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:17 pm

User avatar Dear confused03,

Abdominal pain is a nonspecific symptom for many medical conditions. That is why a lot more information about the character of the pain is always needed to reach the daiagnois. These informations include:
the site, the time of onset, duration of pain or the course of the pain, nature of pain e.g.dull, crampy etc, and any associted symptom or possible precipitating factor.

Causes of recuurent Pain in the Right side of the abdomen include:
Gall Bladder or Billiary disease : in this cases the pain is felt as
-Fullness or gas ,
-Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen ,occur mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radites to the back or belwo the right shoulder.

Associted with:
-Nausea and vomiting
-Heartburn
-hest pain under the breastbone
Renal pain:
Pains due to renal problems are coliky pains, felt in the abdomen, back and radiates down to the groin and, commonly associated with other urinary symptoms, like burning micturition or urine frequency.

IBS:
Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Other diseases that can give similar pictures and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis and chrons disaese.

Appendicitis:
The pain if felt in the flank and the back and if associated with mild fever and leucocytosis.

Pancreatitis:
Pancreatitis usually presents with severe acut abdominal pain that is felt in the upper abdomen and or in the back. In mild cases the paini s mild and becomes more severe with eating and is associated in many cases with nausea and vomiting, fever and tachycardia. Ultra sonogaraphy shows characteristic changes in the pancrease.

Required investigations include:
Complete blood picture CBC Blood chemistry : like serum amylase lipase, liver enzymes.

Only by complete history , physical examination and
investigations , the correct diagnosis ican be reacged. I advise you to keep on Follow up with your doctor.

|