Question: Pain under ribcage & in neck

lbofin1 - Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:03 am

Hi, I've noticed a couple topics dedicated to this pain under the ribcage. I am a 20 year old female and have been having these pains for approximately a week. I am currently taking the medication, Meridia, which is a weight loss medicine. My periods have been regular, I have no history of acid indigestion/reflux and am wondering if any of you are experiencing what I am and if so, do you know what it is?

Starting a week ago, I began to develop a very sharp pain in the upper right quadrant underneath the ribcage. The pain worsens when I breathe in and feels like it radiates up to my shoulder (the shoulder pain almost feels like a pinched nerve or someone blowing cold air in a cavity in your mouth..). When I am sleeping, the only positions I can find that are comfortable are either on my back or stomach, and lying on either side causes a pain that feels like my ribs are poking some sort of organ. The pain does not go away throughout the day, but only slightly subsides. It hurts to take a deep breath in to sneeze and hurts very badly to cough. The pain doesn't feel like any pain coming from my lungs, and is too high to be appendicitis.

I have had no signs of fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. and the pain does not change when I eat or drink. There isn't any pain in my ovaries, and I have had little to no back pain from this. I've taken Zantac 75 thinking that would help (if it was acid indigestion) and it didn't do anything for me. My whole chest feels like a bubble of gas, not to the point of pain, but just bloated..like a "can't burp, can't pass gass" feeling.

Please let me know if anyone knows any kind of information on what I'm experiencing. I'm getting really worried.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:25 am

User avatar Dear lbofin1,

Your symptoms are very likely to be due to Pleurisy.
Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung.
The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases.

The pain is felt like sharp pain on one side or less commonly in both sides, it increases with deep breath. The pain usually stops once you hold your breath and results in rapid, shallow breathing.
Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

I advise you to Consult your doctor, only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|