Question: Confused Pancreatitis patient needs answers

karo - Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:05 am

I am a male, 43 and I thought I was taking good care of myself in staying healthy but then I got diagnosed with Pancreatitis. I have never had anything more painful in my life and I had to stay 10 days in the hospital. What they found is that very end of the Pancreas is inflamed and surrounded with fluid and forming a pseudocyst. I gradually improved to a point where I felt less pain and only had a daily very slight fever, my blodd values went back to almost normal and I was released. I have been out now for 3 days and started drinking vegetable juices (without fat or protein). Overall I have improved every day a little but the area where the infection is and the 3 spots of referred pain have not (or very little) (top of shoulder, left, middle back and left front right under the ribcage).
I know this is a crucial time, the crossroads where the inflammation can go away or become a full blown cyst and infected and extremely dangerous. The doctors here in New Zealand knew surprisingly little about the disease and the few specialists in NZ are on Christmas vacation and not available (no joke).

So I have so many unanswered questions all of which are essential for me to get answered soon. I am expressing immense gratitude for a gastroenterologist to spend the time to help me.

How would I know if the infection is disappearing or forming a cyst? Is how I feel a reliable indicator?

This is the third day now that the (slight) referred pain under my left ribcage starts pounding in the evening. When I put my hand there I can strongly feel my heartbeat. Why does it pound now and is it good or bad?

What can I do to aid my body to overcome the infection? What should I not do to make it get worse instead? Today I ran errands and felt stressed that I should rather be in bed taking it easy. How should I behave?

Are there ways to strengthen my immune system?

If I drink peppermint tea will the oil in the leaves make the Pancreas work? It is very little oil but it still has to be processed.

Should I keep my belly warm with a hot water bottle? Massage the areas around to promote healing by stimulating circulation?

What about natural therapies, acupuncture, herbs?

Will I get a vitamin B deficiency since it needs fat to be assimilated? I may not get any into my body for weeks. Will I have problems not intaking protein possibly for weeks?

Again, thank you so much for your suggestions.
 shannonv33 - Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:29 am

I know what you are going through...doctors don't know much about this for some reason and have very little answers. I have joined a wonderful group where people can answer your questions. We all have pancreatitis and share our stories. Its called TPP the pancreatitis place on yahoo. If you decided to join you will not regret it, this place is like a family to me now. If you want you can emai me at women_2020@yahoo.com with any questions. Everyone there is there to help and we have chats two nights a week or you can post daily. Some of us even talk on the phone.....as of right now we call one of our members thats in the hospital while we are in chat so she can join in. Like I said its a big family that understands everything your going through. Shannon :)

|