Question: colon resection

thelucy2 - Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:17 pm

I just came home from the hospital. I had a colon resection. There was no cancer so no other treatments necessary. My stomach is distended. It is quite large. What could this be from? The incision is about 9" long.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:30 pm

User avatar Hi thelucy2,
Are you passing flatus (gas)? Are you having any nausea etc.? If you are not passing gas and are having nausea etc. notify your physician. If you feel as though you are bloated and not experiencing other symptoms walking will help decrease the bloating and help you expel the gas.
 thelucy2 - Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:14 am

Thank you Theresa for your answer. I am writing for my husband who had the surgery. Since I wrote last, he had to go back to the hospital because he had a blockage. They pumped out all the fluids(about a gallon, or 4 containers full immediately.) He was started on liquids today and solids tomorrow. The doctor says he will be able to leave tomorrow afternoon.

My worry is that his stomach went a lot but it is still qite large. He has had loose movements and feels well. His surgeon is not very forthcoming and is annoyed by questions.

Is it normal for the stomach to be disteneded and if so, how long does it usually take to go down?

Thank you again,
Lucy
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:34 pm

User avatar Hi thelucy2,
From your description it sounds like he had a bowel obstruction. Sometimes after this type of surgical procedure it takes some time for the intestines to start functioning appropriately again. The bloating will be temporary and should subside over the next few days. The symptoms to keep in mind to alert the physician are, nausea, vomiting, increased distention, and no bowel movements. If you have concerns be sure to ask the physician as even though he may not seem receptive, he is the one providing your husbands care and is in the best position to provide you with any answers to information you are inquiring about. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. Good luck to you both!

|