Question: left side pain

happycrazygirl777 - Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:46 pm

i am having some weird symptons for the last few days it started about 3 days ago with the feeling of being hungry all the time then i kinda felt like my stomach needed to growl now every time i take a bie of food i feel this sharp stabbing pain on my left side and it last for about 15 minuts then goes to a dull ache the pain is on the left side about 6 inches to the left of my belly button and it extends to about 3 inches into my ribs is this something that i should be very concerned about
thanks in advance,
susan
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:16 am

User avatar Dear Susan,

- Burning pain in upper abdomen (mainly left side) or lower chest (behind the breast bone) that worsen after eating, with spicy foods or certain caffeine containing beverages is more likely to be of heart burn, GERD or gastritis and gastric ulcer. The pain is temporary relieved by antacids.

-Infections with H. pylori give similar clinical picture and should be excluded and treated if present.

IBS is another GI disorder that gives similar picture.
Commonly people who have IBS complain of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea and increase the IBS symptoms.

Other causes include:
- Colitis, due to infectious or inflammatory disease and vascular problems, there is always other GI symptoms like Diarrhea, bloating, etc A lower Endoscopy can help in establishing the diagnosis in addition to stool analysis.
- Excess gas and distension
- Indigestion

Investigations include:
Specific tests for H.pylori.(breath test)
Abdominal US CT scans to exclude other GI causes.
Upper and lower Endoscopy.

I advise you to visit your doctor. Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|