Question: Ever heard of "unexplained high fever?"

borghuman - Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:24 am

Is there anybody out there that has been plagued with symptoms that their doctor hasn't been able to explain?

For example, ailments that are symptoms of multiple illnesses, from those that are serious to those that are not, with no other symptoms that should be expected with any particular illness.

For about 3 years now, I have gone from "normal" to "sickly" for no apparent reason. Some problems I have had, normally, for life, but most have appeared in force in the past 3 years.

First, since I was a baby, I have been plagued with a sudden, for no reason fever that appears from nowhere. The ER always labled the problem as "unexplained high fever."
I have also had, for about 10 years now, what appears to be a pinched nerve in my left shoulder. It begins to hurt ocassionally, but then after a while dissapates. Sometimes it will cause my entire arm to ache, go numb, and lose movement, like it has run out of blood or is asleep. The doctor said he wasn't sure. It isn't that bad, so I ginore it when it hurts. I have a high tendancy tostrep throat, ear infection (so many when small that the doctor accused my mom of not giving me my medicine, which she did), and sinus problems.
Second, I developed contact dermatitus around the age of 18. Anything I touched, aside from fragrance-free lotion, would cause my hands and face to bleed with dry cracks. Today, I am 22, and I must wear lotion to avoid irritation, but the problem has come "under control."
Next came the headaches, which, after a few months, also accompanied a constant tingling of the back of the head and a swollen back of the neck. This stopped after about a year. Today, as before, I have only mild headaches, but occassional swollen neck.
Cold attacks, as I call them, where my hands and feet become instantly freezing cold. This will sometimes cause unstoppable chills and shivering for up to 30 minutes. When at its worst, I can appear to have a momentary fever appear at the end(head hot), which when measured reads up to ~103*(highest) which only lasts about 20 minutes, and can go into a short, almost siexure like moment of spasam(which is probably a "super shiver")
Short lived, day long blood pressure hike approaching dangerous when completely calm and sitting down. (My pressure is usually normally low/below average)
Acid reflux (moderate to mild)
Irritable bowel
Large bowel
Quick to come bowel soon after eating
Occassional diarreah that lasts up to ~2 days ~every month or so
Quick to come urination
Dehydration, even with heavy water intake
Bowel pain (probably gas-related)
Gas often
Fatigue, irregular biological clock that causes me to be tired "whenever." Too much sleep makes me feel worse that having alot.
Waking up having stopped breathing, gasping for air.
Exercise intolerance- fatigue immediately ensues after about 10 minutes of light jogging and lasts until I get some sleep.
Disorientation/Forgetfulness- Feeling as if I have slept for 2 days after only 15 minutes, feeling out of place and even panic attacks, all of which is temporary and for no reason, all the sudden, even in the middle of a nice conversation. (Can accompany a fever incident), loss of words, can't remember appointments next day.
Weight gain with no change in consumption, which could be normal as I age, not worrysome.
Nausea occurs occassionally
ringing in ears

Allergies:
Sulfa Drugs
Chocolate

Indications:
Not depression related, no indication of depression
Doesn't appear to be psychological-related

Doctor's Responses:
Not Liver, Tonsil, Heart, Gall Bladder, Kidney, Cancer, Immune System Problems, Thyroid, or Appendix.
Possible seratonin(sp) imbalance, prescribed Celexa, no change, discontinued Celexa
Above normal immune system with no toxins, diseases, bacteria, etc. indicated in blood work that returned to normal randomly.
Prescribed Nexium, helped some, not much, for acid reflux problems
I now smoke, but symptoms appeared before I started last year
Smoking doesn't appear to worsen or help symptoms
I don't drink and have an extremely high intolerance for alcohol
Antibiotics for sinuses every other season as necessary
No caffeine intake, didn't help anything not to have it
Exercise every so often
Eyes slow to focus with any change in light
Does no drugs
I take nothing other than Zyrtec, Nexium, and tylenol, and only seldom when necessary, except Nexium which I take regularly now
Impassible constipation at age 12 once
Abnormally low blood pressure, Normal blood pressure some visits
Weak pulse must be taken from neck sometimes, others pulse strong
Heart rate and oxygen normal
don't understand the fever
unusual/not sure

History:
Family history of cancer
only person in family that has neither glasses or hearing aid
family history of diabetes
mother has high blood pressure
dad's family has low blood pressure
family history of stroke both sides
fingernail and hair growth normal, drink plenty of water and eat well

What is going on?!?
 anji - Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:01 am

Well you are definatley not alone mate....I think we expect doctors to have all the answers...well I did....but 2 years of
not pleasant symptoms abdominal pain headaches loose stools for months at a time.colonoscopy ultrasounds ct scans biopsies...still no diagnosis....
I look and feel ill but force myself to work (self employed)and exercise and eat...even if it goes straight thro....It got so bad that in summer 2004 i tried to overdose.....that WAS bad...the daily pain had
made me feel so low....The help I recieved from the mental health team was brilliant...but my symptoms are with me every day...I await another endoscopic investigation in 2 weeks...
I suppose I am lucky as our national health service does not charge me for these procedures...
so what I am trying to say is stck with it and keep up the pressure on your docs for an answer...good luck
 borghuman - Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:41 am

Update!

Have them check your liver and for Porphyria. They have basically decided that I have Porphyria, which is a rare genetic blood disorder, and it too has your symptoms (primary) and many of mine, though I likely have additional complications. I recommend a hemetologist (blood doctor) as they are experts at looking at anomalies in your blood. I had no idea how important they are in finding something wrong with bloodwork until all this. Once I saw one, diagnosis-in-hand. Your liver not producing bile (etc.) properly will cause foods to race through you. That's not to say it will definately provide answers for you, but it just might. Good luck if you read this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 pm

User avatar Hi borghuman,

Good to hear that you finally have a diagnosis. I do have one other suggestion for you. You mention that you occasionally stop breathing at night. This can be due to a condition called obstructive sleep apnea. It essentially leads to multiple pauses in breathing at night. This leads to a poor nights sleep and subsequent headaches, fatigue during the day, poor functioning during the day and a whole list of other problems. Diagnosis is made by doing a sleep study where you basically sleep in the sleep lab and they record you to see if you are having many pauses in your breathing and if your oxygen levels are affected.

Also, if you continue to have the sudden cold episodes/numbness in your hands/arms you may consider requesting an MRI of the neck to be sure the nerves aren't being pinched and the spinal cord is OK. These symptoms may be related to a spinal cord problem in the neck.

Thanks for the update.

|