Question: Nausea

fairy_flower - Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:13 am

I’ve had a long time problem of nausea. I can not eat very well without feeling full very quickly or having nausea.
I have anti sickness tablets though I have had about twice where they have not work and I continue to have nausea.
Under my doctors suggestion I have tried to drink more fluids, eat more fruit and go for a hours walk with my dogs but still I feel no better in fact I’ve been feeling more worse then I have. It has starting making me very depressed and it had effected my sleep. All night I kept waking up feeling very hot and having nausea. And all day and night on Christmas eve I have had a bad stomach pain non stop.

If anyone can suggest something I be very thankful.
Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:06 pm

User avatar Dear fairy_flower,

Nausea results from dysfunction of any part in the digestive tract thus other associated symptoms are very helpful to find out the underlying cause:
In general:
- Nausea associated with Abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea and mild fever is probably due to Gastroenteritis (stomach flu)
- Nausea associated with middle or lower abdominal pain is more likely to be of appendicitis.
- Nausea associated with Right abdominal pain and is related to fatty meals is more likely to be due to gall bladder disease.
- Nausea associated with upper abdominal pain radiating to the back and is related to fatty meals is more likely to be due to pancreatitis.
- Nausea associated with burning pain in upper abdomen or lower chest that is relieved by simple foods and worsen by spicy foods is more likely to be of heart burn, GERD or gastric ulcer.
- Abdominal pain or colic, Nausea with or withoutDiarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them, are probably symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome. IBS, a condition that is very benign as your doctor said and easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet and avoiding stress.
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to consult your physician and more investigations should be done accordingly.

|