News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Midline upper abdominal discomfort with eating

CTri17 - Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:49 pm

Ok, so every time I eat, no matter what it is or how small of an amount I have this stomach pain (low low scale)/discomfort. Just under my sternal notch gets distended, and it is an annoying pain. If I push on about 2-3 inches down from the sternal notch the pain gets slightly worse. But, I feel slightly better if I push it in anywhere else. I find myself pushing on it, if I have just eaten and am at work doing stuff without realizing it?
I have a decently high pain tolerance, but it is more or an annoying dull pain than anything. But it has been going on for at least a month now, and i'd like to rule out it being anything to worry about. The feeling continues for a few hours after I eat, and sets in almost instantaneously when I eat.
I have looked up things online, but I don't really find anything that matches my symptoms. I don't have any nausea/diarrhea/constipation nor do I have fever/chills/or any cold. I'm not a fan of taking medications so I don't take aspirin/nsaids or anything else. I eat very healthy and I am a triathlete and sports performance coach so I work out quite a bit. My job is somewhat stressful though.
So with my stomach aggrivation I havent taken anything, just so you know.
I am contemplating seeing the doctor about it.
If you have any ideas as to what this may be, please let me know.
 Dr. M. Mavru - Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:52 pm

User avatar Dear CTri17,
Recent onset pain lasting a few hours after meals looks like the good old dyspepsia.
But you do not mention your age.
Have you noticed recent changes in your body weight?
Being on the safe side, seeing a doctor looks like the right thing to do.
Good luck,
Mihai Mavru MD
 CTri17 - Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:28 pm

mmihai wrote:Dear CTri17,
Recent onset pain lasting a few hours after meals looks like the good old dyspepsia.
But you do not mention your age.
Have you noticed recent changes in your body weight?
Being on the safe side, seeing a doctor looks like the right thing to do.
Good luck,
Mihai Mavru MD

I am 22 and have had no change in my body weight i'm am 5'6 and 133, I work out 6-7 days a week as I said before. It doesnt feel like heartburn....but I suppose I could be wrong
 Dr. M. Mavru - Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:50 am

User avatar I was meaning non-ulcer dyspepsia see definition from Websters online “Constant pain or discomfort in the upper GI tract. Symptoms include burning, nausea, and bloating, but no ulcer.”
Ulcer is a less likely diagnosis in your case but treatment is pretty much the same

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here