Question: [b]Gas - Intestinal[/b]

2blessed - Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:01 am

Every so often (3-4 months) I have these really bad gas pains. They start in my upper intestinal tract and cause me to literally get on the floor in pain. The only remedy I have is drinking Ginger Tea and eventually (less than 1 hour) I feel it move through after birping and enduring the pain. I have been told that it is a gas bubble moving through my intestinal tract. What is this? Is there a remedy that will keep this from happening?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:51 am

User avatar Dear 2blessed,

Gas and burping are not considered a health problem although they cause many disturbance especially when you are in public.

- Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS.

The disease is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

--The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract like GERD, Gastritis (for which you have a past history) , Gall bladder diseases and Inflammatory bowel diseases.

- Excess gas may also result from excess swallowed air.

-Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance) are also a common causes of gas.

Ginger is supposed to calm down the abdominal pain and decrease flatulence, may be the sugar added to it or a caffeine is added to it.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to Follow up with your doctor.

|