Question: 11 yr old child with 7 weeks constant abdomen and back ache!

rainingagain - Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:19 am

My daughter has been suffering for the past 7 weeks with a constant abdomen and back ache. It started with aching pain in middle low abdomen and feeling unwell. She said it felt like a UTI, which she had only once before 4 months prior. The next day it moved to the right and then left low abdomen and soon came diarrhea. The next day her back started aching just below her ribs. The next day was a Monday and she seen the Dr. Diarrhea gone and Urine was clean and was told it was gastroenteritis. That night she started vomiting and was unable to keep even a sip of water down all the next day Would not move due to sharp pains that came with movement along with ache. Dr. send her to ER where she was rehydrated, blood labs and urine normal. Next day no better, Dr. sent her for CT scan, normal except a little abdomen fluid and some small simple cysts on both ovaries. Next day no better, Dr. sent her to Childrens Hospital ER 2 hrs away. On the way she started her period for the 6th time in 9 months. Stayed overnight, xray still showed most of the contrast in her bowels from ct. They cleaned her out and sent her home saying it was combination of menstral pain (never had before) and a possible virus. Three days latter, back in Dr. office. Still in constant pain in low abdomen and back, Tylenol and Ibuprofen no help. Sent for surgical consult. Sent for 2nd Ct scan after exam, all normal. One week latter still in constant pain but now with small swelling to right of navel. Sent to GYN, had pelvic ultrasound, found a few small simple cysts (largest 1.8 cm) but no cause for pain. Was given BC Pills for when she starts her period again to stop ovolation and production of cysts. Daughter refuses to use and I back her up. Main concern of hers is the possibility of stunting growth and other side effects. Next week back at Dr. office with distended abdomen and pain worse, waking her up many times at night but only constant ache, pain level 6 to 8, no sharp pains. Very tender abdomen and back. Urine still negative. Refered to Ped. Gastro Dr., seen her last week. Took xray and she is all backed up with feces again only this time worse. Told that this was the cause of all her pain and when she gets cleaned out, pain will go away. She is now cleaned out, couldn't possibly have anything left in her with four days of miralax, senna-gen, Mollasses and Milk enemas 2X's pd and oral saline laxitives. Abdomen no longer distended, only small swelling to right of navel but no mass. Still complaining of constant ache in low abdomen in 4 spots, just above pubic bone, to the right and left of that, and to right of navel where swelling is and still aching in back. Pain level 7. Sorry this is so long. My daughter is unable to function like an 11 yr old should. Can't run, jump, play, makes pain worse. Has been going to school, but has been unable to play BB with team for past 7 weeks and is fatiged, tired of the pain, tired of drs., frustrated that no one can help her get rid of pain. She doesn't see the Ped. Gastro. Dr. again for 3 more weeks. I hate to see her suffer anymore but don't know what to do. Does anyone have any insight as to what this could be? How I can help her?
 mommyinpain - Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:27 pm

How is your daughter doing? Its been 3 weeks since you wrote your topic, is your daughter feeling better? Has the doctor done any more tests on her? How about a colonoscopy? Is she usually constipated or does she have regular bowel movements? What helps her condition? Could it be a muscular pain in her abdomen? Have the doctors offered to do a laparascopy?
 rainingagain - Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:57 pm

Thank you for your concern. My daughter does not see the pediatric gastroenterologist for her second time until tomarrow. Her abdomen is no longer distended from constipation and she is still taking miralax and senna-gen daily to control it. She had never been constipated before this. She still has the constant ache in her abdomen and back, it has never gone away, nor has it gotten any better. When the pain gets worse, she lays down and rests and waits for it to get better. The pain never gets better than the "7" pain level out of 10. It has started to take a toll on her school perfomance. She's having a hard time consentrating in class due to the pain and is still unable to do any hing real physical, that causes her pain to get worse. I am fairly certain this is not muscular pain. I am hoping the Dr. will request more tests done, especially after seeing her abdomen and back so tender to the touch. Possibly a colonoscopy would shed some light. No doctor has ever mentioned Laparascopy, I can only assume that it would be suggested as a last resort. I'll let you know what the Dr. says tomarrow. Thank you again for your concern.

|