Question: help on bowel problem

aqua - Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:45 pm

im seeking some advice please for my dad who is 78 years old, he seems very worried that every morning when waking up he has stabbing pain in right handside of stomach then has a very bad bowel movement on him .. he has had blood test which came back normal so he seems to think all is ok me and my family are not sure and trying to get him to go to the docs is not easy ... He is normally in the best of health if any one might have a clue i would be grateful .....
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:35 am

Causes of Pain in the Right side of the abdomen include:

-Gall Bladder or Billiary disease : in this cases the pain is felt as Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen ,occur mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radites to the back or belwo the right shoulder.
Associted with:
Nausea and vomiting
Heartburn

- Renal pain:
Pains due to renal problems are coliky pains, felt in the abdomen, back and radiates down to the groin and, commonly associated with other urinary symptoms, like burning micturition or urine frequency.

- IBS:
Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Other diseases that can give similar pictures and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and peptic ulcer,
colitis whether infectious or inflammatory, diarrhea is present in most of the cases.

- Appendicitis:
The pain if felt in the flank and the back and if associated with mild fever and leucocytosis.

-Gastroenteritis mainly due to viral infection, presents with abdominal colic and diarrhea.

- Pancreatitis:
Pancreatitis usually presents with severe acut abdominal pain that is felt in the upper abdomen and or in the back. In mild cases the pain is mild and becomes more severe with eating and is associated in many cases with nausea and vomiting, fever and tachycardia. Ultra sonogaraphy shows characteristic changes in the pancrease.

The possibility of muscle pain is there especially that your pain is related to cetain posture and movement.

Required investigations include:
Complete blood picture CBC Blood chemistry : like serum amylase lipase, liver enzymes.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis ican be reacged. I advise you to Follow up with your doctor.

|