Question: Pancreatitis?

Peachy49 - Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Hello. I was recently in Oct and Nov. admitted to hospital for sudden onset of severe nausea/vomiting/diarreah. The first time they thought I had food poisoning. I have liver disease from HCV, sucessfully treated, and they did blood tests that only showed at the time low potassium, but they didnt' run other tests. The second time I was admitted, they ran tests on my lipase and amylase, proteins and they were 2-3x normal, but they couldn't see my pancreas on CT due to overlying bowel gases. I also had ketones in my urine 5+.The formal dx was unknown, they are referring me back to the gastro, since my liver US was ok and the admitting doc was my hepatologist and, except for the fatty infiltrate which was the only thing different on this CT, every thing else looked normal. I have stage 2 grade 2 fibrosis. Could these attacks have been acute pancreatitis? Thats my question. Thank u..
 Dr. M. Mavru - Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:33 pm

User avatar Dear Peachy49
It is very unlikely that the complaints you depict could have been caused by acute pancreatitis.
Hypokalemia (low serum potassium) is usually found in excessive losses as in diarhoeea and vomiting.
Mild elevation of serum amylase as you describe might be due to a number of conditions and are not speciffic to acute pancreatitis.

|