Question: Stomach pain,Loss of Appetite, dizziness (getting depressed)

reggietoga - Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:38 am

alright, i will start from the beginning. I am a male, 27yrs old, and weigh aprox 185 lbs at 6ft tall. aprox 12/18/05 I began to feel an occasional burning pain on the left side of my chest, with an occasional shooting pain down my left arm and on my left side under the rib cage. The pain wouldnt last long, just a few seconds, but it would happen throughout the day. So I made a doctors appointment for 12/22/05. the day before my doctors appointment, on 12/21/05, I had eaten a full lunch at work, and then at night I waited a while to eat and I started to develop stomach pain. It was a cramping feeling. I also had no desire to eat at all, it was very tough getting food down my throat. When i went to see my doctor he was more interested in the chest pains and gave me an EKG (which came back normal) and then told me I had reflux and gave me protonix. when i asked about my stomach pains, he told me there was a bug going around and it would be fine in another day or two (but when isnt there a bug going around i thought).
This stomach pain lasted for aprox. 9 days. The pain was just above my belly button and was constant all day long. it wa a dull pain that would just wear me down throughout the day. I had no appetite at all and swallowing anything became a chore. After a couple of emergency room visits, I had multiple tests run. had bloodwork done twice, upper GI series, Ultrasound, and all of them came back normal. (well, actually the upper GI series suggested a duodenal ulcer but that was proven wrong with an endoscopy. )
So I went to see a GI doctor and had an endoscopy done (because of the duodenal ulcer diagnosis). He said everything looked normal, but that my stomach looked a little red and irritated. He gave me zegerid to take (20mg) everyday and said goodbye. The stomach pain persisted after my endoscopy (this is still within the 9 day time frame). It got so bad that I called the GI doc back and he sent me for a CAT scan, which of course came back normal.
So on 12/30 I just start forcing food down my throat, it does not feel good at all but I was out of options at that point. The food helped to dull the stomach pains that I was having, particularly at nightime, when my empty stomach usually gave me the most pain. on 12/31 i continued to force food into my stomach, and the pain got less and i was able to at least sit down in peace and have a normal conversation with my girlfriend (what a great new years i thought).
Monday after newyears i felt a little better, i was able to eat a little better and the stomach pains were minimal. on tuesday, my stomach pains were even less and I felt like i had made the turn and was getting better. however, i noticed that my body was very achy, and my back was more achy than the rest of me. felt like i had been digging ditches all day long. On wednesday i still felt achy, but a pain on the left side of my neck (just under the jawline) caught my attention. it was sore to the touch, or if i tucked my chin in against that side of my neck. at this time i am eating regularly because i know i have to, but the hunger is still not really there. on aprox 1/5 i notice slight dizziness from time to time. more apparent when i stop walking and focus on something.
Aprox. 1/7 i notice the dizziness is becomeing constant throughout the day. I also start to get very tired towards the end of my work day, which is unusual. And I still have the pain in my neck, so i go to the doctor again (on 1/10). he says i may have a sinus infection, and possible mono, so he sends me for another blood test (that i am still awaiting the results on, but im not confident he will find anything), and he gives me azithromycin to take for 3 days. he also tells me the pain in my neck is right around where my lymph nodes are and it could be cause by an infection of some sort. he says the pain will eventually go away, might take a week or two.
yesterday (1/11) i still have the constant dizziness and i notice that my stomach is not feeling right again. I am having trouble eating again and my stomach is getting upset. I don't have the bad stomach pain, but i have no hunger at all and it feels like i have a lump in the back of my throat which makes it tough to swallow food. i forced some chicken tenders down my throat last night, which helped temporarily, but at night i thought i was having a heart attack when i woke up with sharp pains on the left side of my chest. the pains went away once i got up from bed, and then i was able to go back to sleep.
Today (1/12) i am still dizzy, and I still don't have any hunger at all. I know i must eat, but this mysterious illness is starting to take its toll on me as well as the people around me. I know this post is about as long as Gone with the Wind, but I am getting depressed and worn down from this. I am hoping this will go away eventually, but there doesnt appear to be any end in sight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you if you were able to stay awake through this entire post.

Randy
 reggietoga - Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:27 pm

hey, thanks for the help people. i guess i will continue to go crazy.
 georgey123 - Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:16 am

have the doctors tried a laproscopy to rule out appendicitis, have you had any diarrhoea, nausea, pain radiating to right groin area, maybe you could suggest this to your doctor especially if you have had a temperature but i think the laproscopy is the best idea to rule anything out.
 reggietoga - Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:41 am

alright, my abdominal pain has gone away. I can tell my stomach is still not right, but the pain has subsided. however, i still have no appetite. my stomach makes noises, and i know that i have to eat, but there is no desire to eat at all.

my GI doctor told me that i have gastritis, but it seems as if he wanted to just put a name on it. i am currently not taking any medication besides an occassional pepsid. last night when i got home my stomach felt full and bloated. i had to force food down my throat. It feels as if i have a lump in my throat when i swallow, but that comes and goes. but mainly, my lack of appetite is concerning me. is this something that will come back on its own?
 imaweena - Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:20 pm

I just came across this old post. I was wondering if you ever figured out what your problem(s) were. I went through alot of what you had described - chest pain under left rib cage, abdominal pains that came and went, brain fog, stomach pain, etc. Like you I had countless tests done from a bunch of clueless and unsympathetic HMO doctors (neurologists, ENTs, PCPs). I've had CT scans, MRI's, EKG's, Sleep Studies, Stress tests, and a turbinate reduction surgery. I also found out that the H Pylori was causing my stomach pain. I think my brain fog is due to either sinus problems or CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I have also thought that this was due to some GI problem. It could be that I have an overgrowth of candida, and this yeast ihas caused my sinus problems. Do you have a white coating on your tongue?

|