News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Slight AST elevation....ongoing

Britt Reid - Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:33 am

I am a 43 year old male 6" 215lbs and for over 4 years now I have had slightly elevated AST levels (range 0-40 and mine is 70IUL) I have had so many blood tests that I have lost count to determine its cause and all have come back negative. I have had 2 physicians look at the problem and all say its serious but cannot explain why or the cause or effective treatment. The latest one has just begun her quest to find the cause and provide answers. I do not drink alcohol, have had nothing whatsoever for over 5 years and before I MIGHT have had one glass of wine ONCE a year! I have taken no medication whatsoever, for any reason, for over 5 years, Not even for a cold or headache so we can rule that out.

My question is this. My current and past physicians seem worried that this is something they should be concerned over but cannot articulate why it might be serious or how to treat it. One has suggested exploratory surgery!
Whats the deal? Why can't they articulate this? Whats the real deal here?
Since AST is found in many other areas in the body might they be looking in the wrong area?

Thanks for your time and response.
 Britt Reid - Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:15 pm

The ALT level is 139 IU/L (range of 0-55)
 Britt Reid - Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:11 pm

What an overwelming response!
 Eric55 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm not a doctor, but my AST levels are also raised somewhat at around 50-55, but all other liver functions are normal. Have you had an ultrasound or CT to evaluate the actual physical presence of your liver? If those are normal, it should rule out liver issues.
 Britt Reid - Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm

One did a ultrasound and said I might have "Fatty Liver."
Then later I had a CT scan and they said they found no abnormality.
Levels have returned to normal for many years now however it pains me that some Dr. tried to talk me into exploratory surgery.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here