Question: Gallbladder attacks

netwits - Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:48 am

I am a 56 year old female, obese, and a smoker. I have been having severe attacks for several weeks now but have had pain in upper abdomin beneath right rib cage for years. I had a test done to check ejection fraction for my gallblader and it was 12 %. The doctor wants to remove my gallbladder but what would the risks be for me being obese and a smoker ? Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:33 am

User avatar Hi netwits,
There are risks with any surgical procedure, howeve,r the risk of complications of untreated gallbladder disease when it becomes symptomatic is a danger in itself due to infection, gallstone development, blockage of the common bile duct, etc., etc. If recommendation has been made to have the surgery talk to your physician about the procedure, risks, and complications, including the complications that may arise if you choose not to have the surgical procedure completed.

|