News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: colon resection leak

thelucy2 - Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:32 am

My husband had a colon resection. Now he has a tube in his side because there seems to be a leak. What can we expect?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:16 am

User avatar Hi thelucy2,
Can you be a little more specific? What kind of tube, JP drain, T-tube, etc. Draining what kind of fluid, bloody, green, or stool?
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 thelucy2 - Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:17 pm

Theresa I don't know the name of the tube. It was inserted under a cat scan and goes in to the cavitie under the resection. Stool is draining out.

He is home now and he is irrigating and measuring it himself. When less than 20 cc in 48 hours, he will go back and they will test again for seepage. If has stopped, I suppose that means it is sealed. They said it will seal itself.

We are wondering how strong that seal will be.

It has been a horror. All started for a colonoscopy for preventive medicine.

An outside opinion like yours is what we need.

Lucy
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:49 am

User avatar Hi thelucy2,
Most colon resections are completed without complications. However, in a small percentage of patients, there are post operative complications. One of which is leakage at the anastomosis (reconnection) of the bowel. "Generally speaking", in that percentage of patients that have leakage, reoperation to repair clinical leakage of the anastomosis may be required. My concern is that the leakage of stool within the abdominal cavity may create additional complications. I have alerted one of the physicians on the forum for a more definitive opinion.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 Dr. M. Mavru - Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:02 am

User avatar Dear thelucy2
You do not tell what kind of colonic resection your husband has had nor what is the daily output of the drainage. It would be helpful to know.
Anyway what we are dealing with now, is a controlled stercoral fistula (leakage). Most colonic fistulas will heal unless there is an obstruction below.
How soon, only time can really tell, but location of the fistula, the length of it's route and above all the evolution of the output are important prognostic factors.
 southron_98 - Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:24 pm

I was curious as to the outcome of the case described here. I too had a leakage and was allowed to lay there six days before he took action as such I had to have an Ileostomy which was reversed 8 months later. Then I found I had no B-12, then no semen or testosterone, my bowels are uncontrollable and I went from a 34 waist to a 54 because of the massive hernias. Then today he tells me I need to lose 40 pounds (I am 60 and disabled) so he decided I would not be able to lose the weight and scheduled surgery to fix the hernia. It is so big he has scheduled two teams of physicians it is going to take 7 to 8 hours and almost decidedly he is certain there will be serious complications. My only question is does six days seem too long to allow a patient to lay there before taking action?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here