Question: Lower Left side stomach pains

sid86 - Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:14 am

I am having pain in my stomach thats approx. 4cm left of my belly button. Like its sitting on the bone (the one bellow the ribs, MY HIP) it goes all the way round to my side. It hurts when pressure is applied, thus also coughing, sneezing, leaning and of course me pushing on it.
I only got it yesterday but usually things like this go away after a nights sleep. This didnt. If anyone can help i would be so greatful.

Regards
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:24 pm

User avatar Dear sid86,

Abdominal pain is a nonspecific symptom for many medical conditions. That is why a lot more information about the character of the pain is always needed to reach the diagnosis. These information include:
the site, the time of onset, duration of pain or the course of the pain, nature of pain e.g.dull, crampy etc, and any associated symptom or possible precipitating factor.

In general pain felt in the left side of the abdomen as you mentioned can be due to many causes including:
- Excess gas and distension
- Indigestion
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Colitis
They all can be associated with tenderness.
- Renal problems
- Recurrent abdominal pain can be a somatization for emotional or psychological problems.
IBS in which the diagnosis is mainly by exclusion of other causes.

Investigations include:
Complete blood picture , blood chemistry.
Abdominal US.

Complete history, physical examination and investigations are the only way to reach proper diagnosis and treatment. So, I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor to reach the correct diagnosis.

|