Question: right sided abdominal pain

georgey123 - Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:08 am

hi, i am just trying to get some advice, i have been having right sided abdominal pain since mid december 2005, and although i have been to the e.d who at first diagnosed a uti even though i am not having pain on urinating, but am having nausea, diarrahoea, and the pain is radiating to the right side of my groin and as from last night above my pelvis, i know it is not appendicitis as i had that removed 2 weeks ago to prevent me from getting appendicitis, i had it done laprascopicly so that the surgeons were able to look at my kidneys as well. i have had vaginal and non vaginal ultrasounds to rule out ovarian cysts, blood tests which were negative, urine tests that found protein and leukocytes in my urine, the pain is not constantly there, but is a very sharp stabbing pain and can be quite debilitating, i am concerned that because i have not had a cervical smear for 10 years that this may be the cause of my pain and am worried that i may have cervical cancer, the doctors have ruled out endometriosis, and pelvic inflammatory disease, so please help, are you able to suggest some causes of my pain, i am booked in for a cervical smear this week.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:34 pm

User avatar Dear georgey123,

Causes of recurrent Pain in the right side of the abdomen include:

Appendicitis:

The pain if felt in the right flank and the back and if associated with mild Fever and leucocytosis.
You had your appendix removed 2 weeks before these symptoms, this might be some postoperative sequelae of the operation due to the surgery itself and irritation to the GI wall or a mild form of infection.
In any case you have to be examined by your doctor, to check for any signs of postoperative infection.

Other causes of right sided abdominal pain include:
Gall Bladder or Biliary diseases :
in these cases the pain is felt as
-Fullness or gas,
-Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen, occurs mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radiates to the back or below the right shoulder.
-Associated with:
Nausea and Vomiting
Heartburn
-Chest pain under the breastbone

IBS:
Commonly people who have IBS complain of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Other diseases that can give similar pictures and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and Peptic ulcer, Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.

Renal pain:
Pain due to renal problems (like ureteric stones, strictures) are colicky pains, felt in the abdomen, back and radiate down to the groin and, commonly associated with other urinary symptoms, like burning micturition or urine frequency.
Renal and pelvic causes have been ruled out by investigations according to the informations you have given.

Complete blood picture CBC Blood chemistry
Abdominal US.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations can the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to maintain follow up with your doctor.

|