Question: Crohn's Disease

risingphoenixlmt - Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:39 am

I am a 25 year old female, above average weight and height. I have been experiencing severe GI problems for approximately 2 1/2 years. It started with problems with my gallbladder, which was removed 12/03. When I was younger (approximately 16), I was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer and hiatal hernia. Currently, I am unable to eat anything without getting violently ill. Regardless of what I eat, I either experience extreme diarrhea or nausea and sometimes vomitting.

I was under the care of several doctors in 2004, but my husband and I seperated in early 2005 and I have not had medical insurance since that time. While under the care of the doctors previously, I was given many different tests (colonoscopy, etc) and told many different things. At first, they suspected lupus, then leukemia, then multiple sclerosis (I also have severe back problems and pain issue problems). After tests, I was told I did not have any of these problems.

When I mentioned Crohn's Disease (my mother found an article on it) to the doctor I was seeing, he told me that I was too young to have that and dismissed it immediately without testing. I also have pitting edema in both legs. I have had that since 2001 and have only been given water pills for it.

I have a moderate activity level, I work and go to school. I have a healthy diet and my appetite is good, however, I don't eat as often as I should because of the sickness. I can't afford to go to a doctor right now and I don't really know what else to do.
 alanachyanne - Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Hello, my mom has it...some symptoms, from what my mom experienced, is diarreah, with blood, nausea w/vomiting. Stomache pain all of the time especially after she eats. Sometimes fever, & cold sweats. She has had many surgeries because part of intestines gets infected & they have to take it out. she still isn't doing too well, she only weighs 52lbs now. i just thought that i would let u know some of the symptoms that i have recalled. She is now living in Korea.
 alanachyanne - Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:42 pm

and i would like to add " very weak"... she is on "morphine" now.
 Dr. M. Mavru - Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:35 pm

sure the doctor must have had other criteria than age to discard the diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease.
But, anyway, a lot of questions:
What kind of surgery have you had: open or laparoscopic?
Did you experienced any of the present complaints at the time? You say “severe GI problems for approximately 2 1/2 years. It started with problems with my gallbladder, which was removed “
How many bowel movements do you have? Do you have fever, have lost weight?
Have had back pain for how long?
During the extensive work-ups you mentioned, back in 2004 did you have abdominal CAT or MRI scans?
 sm1katz - Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:25 pm

IBD or Crohn's can be very difficult to diagnose. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 1974 which was later rediagnosed as Crohn's later that year. Since my initial surgery which was a total collectomy, I have been operated on 15 times for obstructions, adhesions, fistulas, etc. I am now having chronic pain and my GI doctor thinks it is my gallbladder. I know it is a Crohn's flare and insisted that an illectomy be performed to diagnose this. I was correct as there is a narrowing of the bowel and illeitis is present. I have not had surgery to correct this as of yet as I am waiting until it gets so severe I cannot deal with it. The more you are operated on the greater risk for adhesions. A flare can occur at any time. Symtoms are always severe cramping with or without fever, nausea with or without vommiting. (The cramps are best described as a constant stabbing pain) Only the patient knows if they are having a bout of Crohn's. KUB X-RAYS and/or CT or MRI are not that indicative of diagnosing Crohn's. Do not be afraid to TELL your doctor what you want done.....most of the time the patient has the most knowledge and you will get a quicker diagnosis and treatment. As a side note, Dr. Mark Peppercorn was an intern when I was initially diagnosed. He has written many articles and is widely respected in the GI community.

|