News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: feeling like there's a knot in my side

coljen - Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:24 pm

I'm a female 46 years old and for the last 2 years my doctors have been trying to find what is causing the pain in my upper right side under my ribs. It feels like there is a small ball under the rib area but you can't feel it from the outside. I've had every test possible and everything comes back negative. Have you had anyone else complain with the same symptoms.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:38 am

User avatar Hello,

If gallbladder disease including acalculous gallbladder disease -Gallbladder disease without stones-
liver, other GI problems (e.g. spastic colon) and renal and repiratory (lung) problems are excluded:

This could be a muscle spasm and strain of the ligaments from wrong or heavy lifting, or following a sudden improper movement or wrong posture.

Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues

Causes of muscle injury include:

Muscle fatigue

Heavy exercise

Maintained wrong postures

Muscle spasm alone can cause the pain which can be an unidentified cause.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.

Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

It is also advisable to check your blood electrolytes level and to correct if any.

Hope you find this information useful. Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here