Question: Teenage Daughter is vomiting every morning -We're desperate

endofmyrope - Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:12 pm

Mu daughter who just turned 16 has bouts of morning vomiting for the past 3-5 years. Used to be 1-2 per month and for the last 6 months it's been 4-5 times per week. But she does not get sick on weekend or during summer when she gets to sleep till 10.00

We've seen our PCP about 10 times, been to three different ENT's and one gasto doctor and in the hostiptial once

She's had all test - liver blood work - all good,
Gall bladder (it's at 60-66%),
Baruim drinks - nothing abnormal,
Ultra sounds of the stomach and gall bladder - normal,
X-rays - normal,
Scope down the throat - irritation from vomiting,
CAT scan of the sinus - good but adnoids and tonsuls are inflammed - scheduled for removal 2/20/06 - last hope.
Allgery test showed dust so we put hard wood floor down, air filter in room and dust sweep weekly.
One night stay in the host showed nothing.

She's been on all sorts of meds but nothing helps. Meds for all
GERT, for allergies, decongestant meds.

I'ver read about CVS but her bouts are only in the morning and by 10-11 AM she's fine. Ohter than the vomiting, she has not other CVS symptoms.

Next step is therapy - scheduled in 2 weeks, but I really don;t thinks thats the problem. If the surgery does not work, I think I need to take her to either the Mayo clinic, John Hopkins or a someting of that caliber

Both my wife and daughter are at wits end. We are willing to try anything or see anybody. It's hurting my wife and me to see our daughter this way, not to mention the school thinks she's a truant.

Sorry for rambling, but need advice and wanted to tell all. Will be checking post all weekend long.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or DIRECTION.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Hello endofmyrope,
A lot of what you've said keeps making me think this may very well be psychological.
First of all, her being a female and an adolescent.
Second, that this vomiting disappears on weekends and during the summer vacation (no school).
Then the fact that all the investigations done have turned back negative (with the exception of the adenoids).
May be there is something bothering her at school, or your putting too much emphasis on her school performance that is manifesting in the form of morning vomting.
 wendi789 - Mon May 11, 2009 10:51 am

I have the same problem as above but lets skip to some possibilities:

Strep A Bacteria
H. Pylori - one blood test and 2 week wait for tests to come back
Cyclic Vomit Syndrom - migrains are associated with this one
C. Dificile
GERD - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

I'm not diagnosing myself but I'm so frustrated I want answers and in my search I found these as possibilities.

I had strep last year and ended up in the hospital with severe dehydration. The nausea every morning did not go away but as well as nausea I had diahrea 8X's a day. My mornings were helish. Bouts of nausea, BM's, cold hands and feet, tired, weak. I basically had a nap in the morning and in the afternoon like a baby. I drank Green Tea (bad idea because of the caffeine), Gatorade (bad idea because of heart burn) and then Gastrolite (great stuff, tastes awful but my tongue was so coated I couldn't taste it anyways)

Note: sign of dehydration when you can see the imprint of your teeth in your tongue. I was dehydrated so bad you could see all my teeth imprints in my tongue. All around the bottom teeth. Also pinching the skin on the back of my hand. The skin stayed up your dehydrated. No elasticity. Very weird.

All kinds of tests were run including a colonoscopy.
I'm only 38. The Dr' said I had the nicest intestines he's seen in awhile.
I was negative for stool culture bacteria including C. Dificile.
I was put on Cipro and Flagyl but it still took forever for my stomach to get better. And even when I thought I was getting better I'd have these adrenaline rushes when I was sleeping. I could feel surges in the back of my head just before I'd wake up. They would run from the back of my head down to my stomach. My doctor thought I was having anxiety attacks in my sleep. So she gave me meds for that too. Which I only took a couple of because they make me sleepy and I feel like a spazz for not being able to control my anxiety level.

My diet was the BRAT diet for awhile but it is not healthy so I slowly started eating chicken and more vegetables until finally I was back to normal. No more Nausea, Vomiting or BM's. It took 3 hellish months from start to finish.

This year I again had Strep A and since I knew what it was I was put on Zithromiacin right away. Then Telithromiacin because after 2 weeks I still had Strep.
Severe Nausea every single morning - slowly driving me crazy. Then the vomiting and feeling better. The dr. put me on Pantoprazole 40 mg. It seemed to be working but I'm an idiot and went off it for 4 days. Thinking that the Strep was gone so I didn't need anti-acid producing meds. Now I'm nauseaous and vomiting again in the morning. I started taking the Pantoprazole but it will take awhile to get into my system.

Until the meds kick in here is how I survive the nausea and vomiting:
I cut a 12 hour gravol in half and take it at 9 pm. It knocks me out so I can sleep. At 5:30am I'm up and I feel fine for about 10 seconds. Then not so fine. Off to the bathroom for the regular morning ritual and a BM. Then I take sips of body temperature water.

Some times this works. Other times within an hour I'm dry heaving or vomiting up the water. Taking half a 12 hour gravol at night is my proactive way to make the nausea not so bad. If I can tolerate the sips of water and don't vomit I wait until I'm hungry and start with a banana. By then I'm feeling fine and can eat normally.

I have cut out STEAK, coffee, pop, and spaghetti sauce but I can eat everything else. STEAK is the worst food. I always relapse with it every time I try.

I suspect that the Strep A is the trigger to the stomach issues because once it clears up I still have problems with the nausea and vomiting. I suspect the acid is over producing in my stomach during the night causing food to be digested quickly and then the acid builds up making me sick in the morning.

I hope my experience helps. Please let me know if anyone finds a sollution.
 solipsist816 - Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:12 pm

I don't mean to imply anything. Sounds like possible Cannibinoid hypermesis. Does your daughter smoke pot? If she doesn't, then it's NOT C.H. . Just trying to help suggest possible answers. C.H. is a very new discovery. People are turning up everywhere.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:39 pm

User avatar Hi endofmyrope,
Having gone through your detailed account, it is obvious that all 'possible' investigations have been done and have essentially returned nothing.
So,are there still any other remote possibilities to explain her problem?

There is one condition which comes to my mind, which can cause repeated vomiting episodes is what is known as "Ictal Epilepsy"(an epilepsy of temporal lobe origin which can present with partial seizures).
Consulting a Neurologist may not be a bad idea under the circumstances.
Good luck!
 Greece97 - Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Our 9 year old daughter is experiencing the exact same symtoms. It began a few months ago. She would vomit early morning, immediately upon waking. It occurred every couple of weeks at first. I kept her home from school the first few times but then I realized that there was no fever, no other symptoms and she's fine by 10:00. The frequency has gradually increased and now she has vomited 6 out of the past 10 mornings. Sometimes it wakes her up (around 6:30 AM) and sometimes it happens immediately after she wakes around 6:45 or 7:00. The pediatrician did bloodwork and said everything is fine. They took a stool sample to test for H Pylori. Waiting on those results. They suggested that it might be psychological, but our daughter loves school. She begs to go even after she's been sick. Strangely, it hasn't happened on the weekends when she's able to sleep later. The earliest appt we can get with the gastro is December 2 and I'm worried sick. We're keeping a food log and propping her head up at night. Any suggestions of other things we can be doing until we see the specialist?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:52 am

User avatar Hello,Most children with psychogenic vomiting are normal but stessed out.Give your daughter some time to ventilate her stresses may be to the family,or close friends.She would be fine.My good wishes.
 luluw - Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi..
I'm a 21 years old, and i'v been vomitting daily (4-5 time per day) since the 9th grade - more than 6 years ago..
like the cases above, i'v done every possible test and every thing was normal.. till i gave up and tried to live with it,, but now, i'm starting to feel my stomach "burn" every time i vomit , i'm really afraid that this long time had cased big harm to the rest of my body.. so... what is the side effects of this thing??? is there a chance the reason will be known if i did all the tests once again (the last time i visited a doc. was 3 years ago ) ??

and...for the past few months i'v been getting my period twice a month.. in addition to pimples on my chest
is the 3 things related some how ??
 Greece97 - Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:46 pm

We saw a gastroenterologist and he put our 9 year old on Prevacid. Within a week, her vomitting almost vanished. She has only gotten sick a few times in the past 6 weeks. Not sure if it's truly reflux or simply the placebo effect, but it seems to be working so we are happy.
 sis5 - Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Maybe there is something in her bedroom making her sick.
 Dobbs23 - Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi my name is Mollie. I am 20 years old. After reading the different post I can relate to each of you in different ways. For a year and a half I have woke up on random nights around 2 in the morning and vomit every half hour usually until 9 or 10 a.m. Some times it would last all day.
When this first happened I was in tremendous pain. I would vomit constintly and my only relief was to get down on my hands and knees and stay like that. They did a number of test including an upper GI and everything came back normal. The day after I was scoped I was stuck on my bed face down on my stomach with terrible back pain.
I told my mom about the back pain and she made me a chiropractor appointment. The back pain came as a blessing in disguise. When I told my chirporactor about what had been happening he told me my safety pin was unhooked. I was puzzled and asked him what he meant. Apparently I manage to put my back out in a number of places. This caused problems with messages sent by my brain to my stomach and esphogus and then from them a message sent back to my brain. He said it was like a safety pin, if the safety pin was closed the process could keep going correctly but when you open the safety pin (putting out your back) it dosent work correctly. So everytime I wake up vomiting I call and make an appointment with the chiropractor. I works everytime and instantly relieves the nausea it is my one and only saving grace. Plus I don't have to take a bunch of medications.
I do not experience back pain every time but I know that is what it is and I still go to the chiropractor and it works. Keep your back muscles strong to hold an adjustment for as long as you can. I figure after all the expensive medical test why not give a $20 chiropractor visit a try.
I hope this helps you all find an answer. It had really helped me get on with life.

|