Question: center and left abdominal pain, stool in bm, need advice asa

sarah83 - Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:11 pm

Hello:
This is a mess. I have been having pain in the middle of my abdomen and to the left. My stomach sometimes feels STIFF AS A BOARD. I do have blood in my stool as well and the stomach problems have been pesistent for about 2 weeks now. Earlier in the week I felt very constipated, but the laxatives I bought from the store are starting to help, however there is still some blood still present in the stool. What can you tell me about these symptoms and possible conditions. I looked up some stuff about irritable bowel syndrome, but I do not believe that is it. What about an ulcer.

Next problem: I currently have a bacterial vaginosis as well and was given ant-biotics, Flagyl, to treat it. With all the abdominal problems I am having, will the antibiotics be dangerous to take right now? Will they further harm my body?

If you can please respond back asap. thanks.

Sarah, female, 22, no past stomach diagnoses, but I have had vaginosis before.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:10 pm

User avatar Dear sarah83,

I assumed that you mean there is fresh blood in stool.
Fresh Blood in stools, is usually due to lower GI bleeding.

Causes include
- Hemorrhoids or piles, they represent the most common cause of lower GI bleeding, and are easy to be diagnosed by clinical examination. Anorectal fissures as well can result in Bleeding per rectum and are easily diagnosed.

- Inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis)
Infections include a variety of parasites and protozoa e. g. Entamoeba histolytica and Salmonella or
a part of sexually transmitted disease like herpes simplex and Chlamydia.
Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Samples are collected before receiving any medication and should be repeated for 3 times to find the possible organism causing the infection.
In such cases , diarrhea, mucous and blood in stools are the common symptoms.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS,
Commonly people who have IBS complain of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus or less commonly blood containing stools.

Other diseases that can give similar pictures to IBS and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and Peptic ulcer. But Blood in stools is usually occult and not fresh red.

- Polyps, diverticulosis and Colon cancer.
Colonoscopy is of choice in the diagnosis of these cases.

You have to be properly checked and investigated. Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to be checked by your doctor as early as possible.

|