Question: blood is making me terrified

scared1 - Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:52 am

i am a 19 year old female and am overweight. for about 10 years or so i have been getting blood on my toilet paper when i wipe, this is only after excreting solid waste. when my brother was young he had the same problem and the doctor told him he just needed more fiber. so we assumed that was my problem as well.. so here i am 19 and about a month ago i had diarherra and it was bloody, this scared me, this had only happened once before and i was like 9. ever since then i have had terrible anxiety about all this and that is making my stomach hurt. i have not diarherred any more blood but i do still have a little bit of blood on my toilet paper, occasionally.and occasionally it will itch slightly. when i wipe my anus seems a little sore so im assuming im wiping too hard or too much. when i had my last pap smear the doctor said she saw a bunch of little tears everywhere in my lower region.. i don't know if this means anything. i keep looking all this up online and am absolutely terrified that i might have colon cancer. no one in my family has had cancer. i know that colon cancer in my age is rare but i still am absolutely horrified. does this sound like cancer?
 scared1 - Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:06 am

i should also add that when i diarhearred blood, i was taking an enormous amount of ibuprofen (1200 mg/day) due to a painful absecssed tooth
 OhioAshley114 - Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Hello Scared,
I am not a doctor, but when I was reading your post it sounds similar to what I've been having trouble with but I have a few questions... you say for 10 years you have had this problem? So every single time you pass a bowel it bleeds for the past 10 years? If so... I highly question why you have not seen a GI specialist. If this only happens on and off... then you should say so. If it is itchy and slightly painful it is most likely to be hemorrhoids. If you have tears in that area, it is probably from stretching too much when you are sitting on the toilet, or from passing hard stools. Did you treat those tears with ointment? I highly doubt you have a serious condition like colon cancer, but it could be IBS, Colitis, or some other polyp in your rectal area. Don't jump to conclusions if you haven't been seen by a doctor.

|