Question: H. pylori

pictakr2003 - Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:35 am

Hi. I am a 36 year old female, and have been suffering for the past 5 years with this awful stomach problem, gas, bloating, pain, constipation pretty much 24 hrs. a day, every day. Finally I go to the dr. and they diagnosed me with an infection, H. Pylori, and prescribed the prev pac. Just 2 doses. 1 day supply. My question is, will just one day supply kill this bacteria that has been living in my body for 5 years? All the articles that I have read indicate a 7-10 day treatment. I appreciate any thoughts on this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:39 pm

User avatar Dear pictakr2003 ,

I would like to know if your symptoms improved after you have received the treatment that your doctor has prescribed?

To my knowledge, in the treatment of H. Pylori, success with shorter durations of treatment has been reported, however, continued therapy (triple or quadruple) for 14 days is the most reliable and effective regimen in disease eradication.

Indeed Helicobacter pylori infection can cause similar symptoms. But they may also aggravate an already present condition like IBS.

Recurrent abdominal pain, associated with Gas, bloating, and constipation, related to meals is more likely to be due to IBS. The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.
Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract. The diagnosis although made by exclusion of other causes, however abdominal pain and diarrhea or constipation lasting at least 12 weeks is the main criteria for the diagnosis of IBS.

Other disease That can give similar pictures and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and peptic ulcer.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to keep on Follow up with your doctor and to inform him by any change in your symptoms.

|