News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Whats next??? Sternum pain...

rzdave - Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:39 am

About a year ago,I started to have a constant pain under my sternum. Went to Gastro, he tested for everything including Upper and Lower Endoscopy which came back clean. Stool test done, negative, etc... He put me on Protonix which I have been taking now pretty much daily for a year. The symptoms subside, but, then they come back. More pain under the sternum. Its a dull pain.

Today, I was at a Golf trade show and I swung a golf club a couple of times and after that, I had a continuing severe pain in the same spot under my sternum. It lasted about 4 minutes until I put my arms behind my body and kept them there for 5 minutes. then the pain subsided, but, the dull pain in the sternum continues. I eat properly and I have daily bowel movements, no issues there. The pain in the sternum is more pronounced when I am standing, but less so when I am sitting or when I am lying in bed.

Might this problem be something other than Gastro in nature? Might it be muscular?? Please advise.... Thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:17 am

User avatar Dear sickboy_1988,

- Burning pain in upper abdomen (mainly left side) or lower chest (behind the breast bone) that worsen when the stomach is empty , or by spicy foods or certain caffeine containing beverages is more likely to be of heart burn, GERD or gastritis and gastric ulcer. The pain is temporary relieved by simple foods and antacids.
Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) used to treat conditions in which there is exposure to excess gastric acids.

-Infections with H. pylori give similar clinical picture.
Investigations include:
Specific tests for H.pylori.(breath test)
Abdominal US CT scans to exclude other GI causes.
Upper and lower Endoscopy.

Endoscopy sometimes fails to diagnose GERD and other tests should be done to confirm the diagnosis like Esophageal acid testing , Esophageal motility testing and Gastric emptying studies.

There might be another unrelated cause of the pain that you have experienced lately, as it sounds like muscle pain from a spasm caused by excess exercises or wrong movement. With rest the pain would improve i n 48 hours.

I advise you to Follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here