Question: Upper Left Quadrant pain

emmtie0304 - Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:45 pm

For the past two days I have had pain on my left side between my ribs and hip bone every time I move at all or breathe even slightly heavier than normal. Also there is a specific spot in the area on my side just below the level of my navel that when pressure is applied it causes a pain intense enough to make me feel the urge to vomit. I have no insurance right now and would like to know possible causes to this before spending the money to go see one.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:07 am

You must be examined as there is no way to determine how serious your condition is over the internet.

When investigating abdominal pain, it is important for the physician to first exclude any serious causes. Those at high risk include, patients above the age of 50 years, those with dysphagia, anorexia with weight loss or persistent vomiting; in addition to those with a palpable mass or those with evidence of GIT hemorrhage (melena, anemia or hypotension) and those presenting with a board-like abdomen.

For those cases immediate surgery (laparotomy) or endoscopy may be needed.

Left upper quadrant pain is commonly associated with colonic diseases or splenic diseases. Those may include anything from distension of the splenic flexure of the colon as in cases of irritable bowel syndrome to colonic cancer. The spleen may be enlarged or may be the seat of an infarction.

Please see a doctor as soon as possible.

|