News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Upper Left Quadrant pain

emmtie0304 - Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:45 pm

For the past two days I have had pain on my left side between my ribs and hip bone every time I move at all or breathe even slightly heavier than normal. Also there is a specific spot in the area on my side just below the level of my navel that when pressure is applied it causes a pain intense enough to make me feel the urge to vomit. I have no insurance right now and would like to know possible causes to this before spending the money to go see one.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:07 am

User avatar Hello,

You must be examined as there is no way to determine how serious your condition is over the internet.

When investigating abdominal pain, it is important for the physician to first exclude any serious causes. Those at high risk include, patients above the age of 50 years, those with dysphagia, anorexia with weight loss or persistent vomiting; in addition to those with a palpable mass or those with evidence of GIT hemorrhage (melena, anemia or hypotension) and those presenting with a board-like abdomen.

For those cases immediate surgery (laparotomy) or endoscopy may be needed.

Left upper quadrant pain is commonly associated with colonic diseases or splenic diseases. Those may include anything from distension of the splenic flexure of the colon as in cases of irritable bowel syndrome to colonic cancer. The spleen may be enlarged or may be the seat of an infarction.

Please see a doctor as soon as possible.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here