Question: Intussusception caused irritable bowel syndrome?

shannan26 - Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:44 am

Aug 11, 2003 my then 3yr old son had surgery for illiocolic intussusception later labs tested positive for Salmonella typhi.
Ever since his illness/surgery he's had difficulty holding his bowels and lately has suffered severe stomach cramps as well.
Yesterday we took him to see a ped GI who said he has irritable bowel syndrome and prescribe an anti spasmodic for the cramps. He said the Salmonella triggered the IBS.

I have looked up IBS and am still not certain what exactly this is. I have come across research saying this is common with Salmonella but have also come across studies saying abdominal surgeries could also have triggered it.

Could the intussusception have caused his IBS?

Thank you in advance for your time,
Shannan
 angel2close - Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:55 am

Shannan,
It has been so long since you wrote in that I feel certain that you have obtained info elsewhere by now but. . . . IBS is such a kind of 'catch all' disease that you will find very little about it that is really definitive. I assume that this is why no one answered you sooner. What I know of IBS is mainly from living with it all of my life. Many, in fact most times when it is diagnosed, the doctor is not able to tell you how, where, when or why. IBS is so much easier to deal with these days than when I was a child. Take some solace in the fact that your son will not see this as an unusual thing as he ages. I have been asked how I could ever work full-time (and more) and raise kids etc. with this terribly "inconvenient" disease. The answer is easy, I don't know any other way of living. Rather than trying to focus on the hows and where fors, please just help your son to find the right diet, meds and regimen for him. Best of Luck. :wink:

|