"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: possible jaundice

weeezer40 - Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:05 pm

My wife has told me that she thinks I may have jaundice, my skin has a yellowish tint and the whites of my eyes are also yellow. I have a severe anxiety of doctors and hospitals. Could you please tell me what an initial exam would entail form the simplest to the most extreme. This would at least put me a little at eases, or at least prepare me. Please help I need advise.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon May 03, 2004 2:02 pm

User avatar Dear Weeezer40,

Having yellowish skin discoloration and a yellowish discoloration of the sclera (the white of your eye) means that a substance in your blood called bilirubin is high. Most of the time this means a liver problem. It could also mean that you are having increased production of this substance but the liver is unable to deal with this increased production.

You have to be examined by your doctor and have blood tests done if your doctor thinks it is really jaundice that you have.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.