News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Involuntary Odor! Frequent bowel movements?

healthseeker - Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:45 pm

Help! I am a 24 years old female. I have been having a really really embarassing and uncomfortable problem.

As far as I know I have had no such problems before. Regarding past diagnosis... I had jaundice when I was 10. I have dust allergies. I look like I'm 12 even though I'm 24(Thats another problem I need to take care of as soon as I'm done with this one). When I go to the doctor he say's that I look anemic and they always give me B complex tablets... (because my mother tells the doctor that I look anemic). But no formal diagnosis has ever been made. I am extremely skinny (89 pounds the last time I checked). I do not have any eating problems and I have never been on diets.

No surgeries.

Family history.. Mother has high blood pressure.. father has diabetes. Uncle has asthma.. Grandmother had brain tumor(is no longer with us).

Current medications: Just had a cold this month so I took Nyquil Vicks multi symptom relief.

This problem started about 2 years ago.
But I never realized that the odor was coming from me. I always used to think that it was someone else. But now I (and I think EVERYONE who I come into contact with) know that its me. I realized it was coming from me because everytime I smell the odor I have a burning sensation /tightness in my lower back(abdomen) near the kidneys(I think... just an approximate location). (So its definitely not a coincidence)

Problem:
I feel like I have to defecate (go to the bathroom) at least 3-4 times a day. It is not diarhea. Sometimes I do defecate 3-4 times a day ... sometimes its just a sensation. Of course this is really uncomfortable... But the major part of the problem is an "odor". I go to the bathroom as soon as I wake up around 7:30 AM.(I know that's late...). But then around 10 AM. again when I'm in class I have this burning sensation in my lower back (near the kidneys) and I am giving off an involuntary odor (which I think is directly coming from inside.. from my intestines). that is, I know that I am NOT passing gas. So if I go to the bathroom assuming that I have to go because of this odor sometimes I do defecate .. sometimes I don't. This is happening lots of times during the day. I am practically spending the whole day in the bathroom either as an attempt to defecate or to stay away from people because of this odor. As far as I know I do not have any other symptoms besides this odor and this frequent urge to go.

How do I solve this problem? !!! What is the reason for this!!!

Sometimes I am wondering if it psychological too because when there is someone (not family members) next to me 90% of the time I am producing this odor(NOT ON PURPOSE). But maybe when noone is near me I don't care if I'm giving off this odor because its just me.. so maybe I'm not paying attention. But I don't know! I can't figure it out!

PLEASE HELP SOON AS I DON'T THINK I CAN ATTEND EVEN ONE MORE DAY OF WORK/SCHOOL at this rate. And as that's not enough now we got moved into a tiny room in which 4 people including me need to work in.! PLEASE PLEASE HELP SOON!!!!!

I would go to the doctor but my mother is scaring me to death by saying that I am making a big thing out of nothing and that I am going to get myself into trouble this way and end up with a bigger health problem. But I know I have a problem and that I need help. (I would go but everytime I don't listen to her I DO end up in trouble).. but I know that I need help with this problem..

Hope someone on this forum can help me. Thanks!

(I apologize if I made things seem disguisting). Hopefully this is the category in which my question should be posted in.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:11 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is a difficult one to deal with. First off, I understand how hard it must be to go through the day being haunted with a problem like that.

You mentioned psychological, which I agree would definitely play a role. I think for one thing, if it were that severe your mother would have gotten worried about her daughter passing an odor all the time. I am not denying this happens but the social anxiety associated with this problem may exaggerate your assessment of it.

For one thing the source of the odor has to be identified. You say you are not passing flatus. Source of bad odor include the oral cavity (during breathing), sweat, and the GI tract during passage of flatus.

I am assuming that you have tried to maintain maximum hygiene and cleanliness by more frequent showers, changing your garments more frequently. Have you tried using perfume? Does it help?

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here