Question: Esophagus Pain and Swelling

Libbi - Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:28 pm

my name is Brenda and I am a 21 year-old female. I have never been diagnosed with anythingm because I don't know where to go, and quite frankly don't want to waste money with trial-and-error trips. There is no family history that is linked with this, except that my dad and his dad haves to chew their food very throurally so they don't choke. My case seems like an allergic reaction of some sort, but I'm not sure.

Off and on my Esophagus will feel like it is swelling. At first I thought that it was constricting, but I am not entirely sure. It almost feels like an apple is in my Esophagus right in the center of my sternum. It usually comes on fast, and makes me feel like if I would vomit, that it would make it go away. But I tried, and it stays. My mouth waters perfusely, and every time an involuntary muscle contraction occurs, I can litterly feel it all the way down with excruciating pain. The only thing besides benadryl that works is simply sleeping through it. My last encounter with it (sometimes it isn't this bad) I was up for hours in severe pain. It almost felt like my ribs were going to cave in on my Esophagus. All I had was a child's dose of benadryl and it did nothing, so I took some Nyquill along with it (forgetting that it had alcohol in it) so it made me halucinate (kind of like dreaming random bizzare things while I was awake, but tired) I woke up in the night crying and the pain was the worst I had ever experienced.

I was bulemic when I was in high school, and I know that can cause Esophagus problems. I just don't know what to do. I have an impossible time eating anything without some drink handy - because I choke on everything (everything gets stuck) especially rice (even when I consciously chew it untill it's mush)

Some of my thoughts are that it may have been triggered/irritated more often because I was on Depo-Provera for about a year. When I was on the shot, I aquired tons of allergies that I never had before such as milk, cheese, apples, tomatoes, ice cream, banannas, oranges, pretty much any dairy product and alfredo sauce would make my stomach upset and would trigger the "throat bubble(as I called it)", but the fruits + tomatoe would make my gums swell and itch and do the same to my throat. I don't suffer from heart burn ever, the only thing that helps is extra strength benadryl. Thanks for any insight you may have.

Brenda
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:18 pm

User avatar Dear Libbi,

Medical conditions that may give symptoms similar to your complaints include:

In appropriate contraction of the esophageal muscles causes chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as a lump or tightness in the chest with difficult swallowing and bad breathing.

GERD
The anatomical relation between the diaphragm and the Lowe Esophageal Sphincter LES prevents the gastric acids to come up into the esophagus (reflux). Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest in the morning. Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry cough and shortness of breath similar to asthma.

Worth noting that, Frequent vomiting ( as in Bulimia nervosa) can results in gastroesophageal reflux or Mallory–Weiss tears.

You have symptoms of food intolerance, that are commonly seen in people with gastritis, IBS, or Inflammatory bowel diseases. The symptoms are partially relieved by antihistamines, this shows an allergic element in your condition. However, according to my knowledge, relating these symptoms to Depot Progesterone is not a proved information.

Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms.
Certain foods as well are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods.

Psychological or emotional stress and anxiety are other possible causes for these symptoms, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

Diagnosis is made by complete history taking, physical examination, investigations like Upper endoscopy, Manometric studies, and other lab tests that can be recommended by the doctor accordingly.

You have to be checked by your doctor, by complete history and physical examination, he can recommend the proper medical approach.

Best regrads,

|