Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hepatitus B AntiBody positive

nozzers - Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:46 am

Hi. I am a 29 year old male. I have a very healthy lifestyle - thought through my late teens/early twenties was keen on weekend binge drinking. A few years ago, I went to the doctors as I thought I may have diabetes. After quite a few tests and having found nothing wrong, more tests were carried out and the results came back saying that I was found to be Hepatitus B AntiBody Positive. I was in complete shock but to be honest didnt know what this meant. I asked the doctor and at the time was made to feel dirty and he said that it comes from homosexual encounters etc. I said that I was not homosexual and never have been and am therefore confused as to how this could happen. I have only had 3 sexual partners (all female) and all long term girlfriends of 3 years or more. To this day, I am confused about how I could have become infected.
Anyway, putting that aside, I am now unsure as to what this means for me. Are there any side affects of being anti body positive. I was told that I am not a carrier so do not have to worry - and my girlfriend of 5 years has been tested and is fine.
However, since hearing this news back then it has always played on my mind as to how it happened. Is there a chance that the results are incorrect?
Can i get re-tested?
I also want to be a blood donor but does this mean that I cannot?
Also, I am due to go travelling this summer for a 6 months out. Am I still ok to get all of the usual jabs that you need for Hepatitis when visiting south east asia, or would it react to my condition.

I hope you can help me with this information. I am at a loss as to what to do really to get further information as I have been made to feel embarrassed by the doctor i saw 2 years ago.
 MaryAnn N, RN - Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:43 am

User avatar Hepatitis B is a bloodborne illness. You can contract it from exposure to blood or body fluids. You do not have to be gay to contract Hepatitis B. You can contract it during heterosexual activities. Semen and vaginal secretions both contain this virus.

Mothers can spread the virus to their babies during pregnancy, the birthing process and or breastfeeding.

You can contract this virus while getting a piercing or tatooing if the person doing the piercing uses a needle that has been previously used on someone else without sterization. You can get it an additional way if your tatooer does not use single use tubs of ink.

Sharing needles whether it's someone who shoots up heroin or is an athlete who abuses steriods to enhance his muscle building.

Healthcare professions can get it by being stuck with a used needle.

Not so much now, but you used to be able to get it if you had to have a blood transfusion or organ transplant. We are better able to test the blood these days.

You are antibody positive becuase you had the disease before, just as if you had measles before. Your doctor said you are not a carrier so you cannot infect others. However, I believe the Red Cross does not take blood from those who have had this virus. If you are treveling it is safe to get vaccinated against
Hepatitis. They normally vaccinate travelers fro Hepatitis A, which is a ompletely different virus. That one is contracted by diringing conatminated water or food. Have fun on your trip.

MaryAnnRN
 nozzers - Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:13 am

Thank you so much for your reply.
It has put my mind at rest even though I am still puzzled as to how this happened as I have never used needles. tattoo's etc - and I didnt think either of my previous two partners were infected.

Seeing as I have had exposure to the virus in the past but am not a carrier , does this mean that I need to tick the box saying I have Hep B etc when starting a new job or something. I don't want people to assume that I am a carrier when I am not.
 MaryAnn N, RN - Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:09 am

User avatar I have never seen places of employment get that personal.. If you are filling forms out in your doctor's office that is a different story, so that he is aware of your history.

MaryAnnRN

|