Question: Intussusception caused IBS?

shannan26 - Wed May 05, 2004 7:39 pm

Aug 11, 2003 my then 3yr old son had surgery for illiocolic intussusception later labs tested positive for Salmonella typhi.
Ever since his illness/surgery he's had difficulty holding his bowels and lately has suffered severe stomach cramps as well.
Yesterday we took him to see a ped GI who said he has irritable bowel syndrome and prescribe an anti spasmodic for the cramps. He said the Salmonella triggered the IBS.

I have looked up IBS and am still not certain what exactly this is. I have come across research saying this is common with Salmonella but have also come across studies saying abdominal surgeries could also have triggered it.

Could the intussusception have caused his IBS?

Thank you in advance for your time,
Shannan
 Dr. Russell M - Mon May 24, 2004 12:44 am

User avatar Hi!

The causes of irritable bowel syndrome largely remain poorly defined even today. Under the circumstances, intussusception has not been laid down to be a specific cause. Nevertheless, neurochemical alterations of the bowel following the salmonella infection may be a culprit.

Hope this helps.

Bill
 shannan26 - Mon May 24, 2004 1:03 pm

Bill,
Fist let me thank you for your reply, I was beginning to think I had gone unheard.

I have another question, but first let me start with a bit of background.
Before Aug my son was just your average everyday little rough boy... no tree he couldn't climb, no mud puddle he couldn't conquer. He wasn't a sickly child, 1 ear infection 2 colds that I can remember... aside from a surgery to remove a bead from his ear he never needed to see a Dr other than for check-ups.

Ever since Aug he's been constantly sick. I have a wonderful ped whom I do like but admit I'm getting tired of seeing him... we're just in there to much lately it seems (almost every month!). Seems all it takes is for someone to look at him lately and he'll come down with a cold. With each cold his stomach cramps get worse, this weekend he was taking the anti-spaz meds every 4 hours with the pains in between the times he could take a new dose.

Could this be yet another one of Salmonellas wonderful surprises? Can an infection/outcome such as he had cause his immune system to have weakened over this span of time? He had a bit of blood on his toilet tissue Friday I mentioned to the ped this morning but this is not his normal ped and my poor little boy isn't a big fan of the butt jelly sandwiches check-ups they give him (his words)... I'm thinking possibly a hemorrhoid and will mention it to his ped when he gets back in (it was a very small amount and really didn't alarm me to the point I feel its urgent).

He seems to be having headaches lately as well.

Thank you in advance Bill,
Shannan
 Dr. Russell M - Tue May 25, 2004 12:11 am

User avatar Hi!

I would suggest going back to the pediatric gastroenterologist/pediatric surgeon with your son's present complaints of blood per rectum, as well as his stomach cramps. I doubt if Salmonella could be behind all, but wouldn't rule out the possibility. Unless due to other reasons, one need not expect the immunity to go down with infections, though the converse could be more plausible.

After your son had his surgery, was there any diagnosis as to what caused his intussusception?

bill
 shannan26 - Tue May 25, 2004 12:07 pm

>>>After your son had his surgery, was there any diagnosis as to what caused his intussusception?

I remember the surgeon saying something about a polyp, labs called it something else (I don't have the records in front of me). At the time I can't say I really did ask what caused the intussusception... I can tell you that one day he was perferctly fine and the next bleeding out, labs showed Salmonella... I'm not a Dr but to me this looks pretty linked.

My son had no medical problems before this, now it seems we have nothing but problems. We have an appt with the GI on june 30th, do you think I should contact him sooner? There has been no blood since the other day and it was a very small amount. He was given anti-spaz meds for his cramps and they do work however we were told to only give them to son every 4 hrs and they tend to wear off within aprox 3hrs.

Thank you again Bill!
Shannan
 Dr. Russell M - Tue May 25, 2004 5:06 pm

User avatar Hi!

A juvenile polyp may be the surgical lead point that could have been behind the intussusception.

The most common cause of a lower gastrointestinal bleeding, in children older than 2 years, is juvenile polyps, and this remains true until the patients are teenagers. Colonoscopy is the diagnostic evaluation of choice here. Was colonoscopy ever done any time on your son?

Hamartomas are benign lesions found in the intestine that may require no treatment.

Vascular lesions like hemangiomas, vasculitis, and arteriovenous malformations may also be present in the intestine to cause the bleeding. In such cases, arteriography may be needed to localize the source of bleeding.

If your son is doing well now, you may discuss along these lines when you show him to the pediatric gastroenterologist at your scheduled appointment.

Hope this helps.

bill
 shannan26 - Wed May 26, 2004 11:22 pm

>>>Was colonoscopy ever done any time on your son?

No. The ped checks his rectum (son's jelly butt sandwiches as he calls it), I don't know why he does this. LAst time he did the bottom check he made a few comments and next thing I knew we were being shipped off to the Ped Gi... ped gi gave us a wonderful 5 min of his time, son showed him where the pains were and the diagnoses was made. No blood tests, no lets listen to your tummy... the ped ask me to bring a stool sample with him at his last visit, I did and the comment was made that due to it being almost black he thought there may have been blood in it. I was told later there was no blood found and it had tested neg for S. Typhi. ( was very happy for this but understand he has to have 3 test neg before he's considered to be clear?)

I'm sorry Bill, I wanted to respond quickly but I'm very tired this evening and am finding it hard to concentrate and put words to what I want to say. I hope you won't mind if i finish my post tomarrow.

Thank you Bill,
Shannan

|