Question: Gallbladder Pain

DEKDO - Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:35 pm

I am 53 year old overweight female with gallbaldder pain for the last week. I have been to see my doctor and he did some blood test: ASC,amylase,and Alk Phos. which were all normal. He has also ordered and ultrasound for next week. The pain is constant, no fever, some diarrhea, and off and on nausea. My mother had her gallbladder out in the last 5 years and I have a niece that was 18 when she had hers out. I do have an ulcer,and take meds for it, I also take an anti-depressant and have for years, and altenol for migraines. The pain does get worst with some foods, especially fatty, but never goes away unless it's during the night when I don't eat or drink anything. But as soon as I do, it begins to hurt. It's a vicious circle and I would really like to know what to do.

Thank you for any information you can give me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:25 am

User avatar Hi DEKDO,
An ultrasound should identify if there are any stones present. If however, there is no evidence of stones, you may want to discuss with your physician about the diagnostic study Hida Scan. No evidence or lack of stones does not mean that your gallbladder if functioning properly. A Hida Scan identifies gallbladder dysfunction so keep this in mind when your discussing the results with your physician. In the meantime, avoid the specific foods that seem to trigger the worst attacks.
 DEKDO - Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:08 pm

Theresa, I wanted to thank you for your quick reply to my question. I will keep the appointment with the ultrasound next week. I have looked up the HIDA screen and will asked for it if the ultrasound shows nothing.

I do have another question, for the last few days when I wake up in the morning and turn over I get extremely dizzy and nauseated. It only last about 5-10 seconds but when I stand up I can't walk straight for a couple of minutes. I still have the pain in my gallbladder area, although it's not as bad, but no temperature. I do not feel well at all just kinda of tired, hurting, and sometimes dizzy. Could all of this be related?

Thank you
Dekdo
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:11 am

User avatar Hi DEKDO,
Although there may be a relationship, I would be inclined to consider another disorder based on your symptoms of dizziness and nausea lasting for a few seconds when changing position in bed. One condition that comes to mind that may cause those particular symptoms is BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Generally speaking there is a disorder in the inner ear related to the balance mechanism. Some of the signs and symptoms which typically last for a few seconds (when changing the position of the head) and then subside are severe dizziness, nausea, vomiting, unsteadiness or a loss of balance, etc. I would suggest that if you are experiencing these sort of symptoms that you inform your physician for an evaluation.

|