News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: possible parasite infestation?

acfl - Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:45 am

When I was younger (8 or 10 apx), i found very small, white worms in my stool. I didn't see the doctor but I was prescribed one pill which I took, but I don't think was effective.

I'm 18 now, and worried I may be infested with worms. I have:

Itching around the anus (could this be psychic becuase of my worry of being infested, or possibly caused by diarreah?)
Occasional dirreah
Excessive gas, and upset stomach

I have other symptoms that could be related such as:

Fatigue and insomnia
Headache

Any info would help. I especially want to know what kind of worm it was that I had when I was younger (very small, white), is it possible that I never got rid of them and still have them, could I have a different type of parasite (I'm particularly scared i have a roundworm or tapeworm), what should I do medical wise, could these symptoms be result of just worrying I have parasites?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:28 am

User avatar Hi acfl,
It would be quite unlikely that you would be afflicted with a continued infestation for such an extended peruiod of time. If your concern is a possible current parasitic infestation that you may have recently acquired a labtest on your stool by your physician would identify if such a condition exists.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here