Question: Daily stomach ache/gas/loose BM - post partum related?

EEM - Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:33 am

Hello. For the past 3 weeks I have had a bad stomach ache followed by gas and a loose BM (not quite diarrhea) between the moment I wake up and about 20 minutes after I rise. This started right after I had my first post-partum period (baby was born 6 mos ago, first period was about 3 weeks ago).

Prior to this, I had a sharp pain in my gallbladder area, daily, for about 3 months. I saw my GP, had various ultrasounds and saw a colon dr. who did a sigmoidascopy. Nothing was found. Surprisingly, it ended when I got my period.

When I had the side pain, I also sometimes felt like I had a full rectum . I also started with what feels like a sciatic nerve - pain goes from inside my left buttocks to my toes -primarily in the knee area - about a month ago. Granted, this could be from carrying around a 22lb baby.

My diet has remained consistent. My stomach is usually okay during the day, although it is a lot more sensitive to spicy, greesy, etc. foods than it used to be (usually resulting in gas/stomach aches/diarrehea.)

Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:39 pm

User avatar Dear EEM,

Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS. Crampy abdominal pain, often relieved by defecation is a typical symptom of IBS.The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract.
Gall bladder disease and Renal Problems may give similar picture, but with other characteristic symptoms that you did not complain off.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to keep on Follow up with your doctor.

|