News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdomen/stomach pain

sweety - Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:20 pm

I.m 32 years old and female . I had gallbladder removal three years ago, but stilll get severe upper right and left quadrant pain.
Sometimes both hurt at same time for hours and sometimes relief for a few days.
I have gerd and on nexium 40 mg and domperidone maleate for motility.
Any reason why I'm still experiencing such pain.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:57 pm

User avatar Hello,

I do not think your current symptoms are related to your cholecystectomy. You say you are experiencing the pain on both sides of the upper abdomen. Do you have any renal problems? Is your pain associated with altered bowel habits? Is it associated with a feeling of being bloated and relieved by passing stools?

Rates of IBS among patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and temporomandibular joint syndrome are high.
 sweety - Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Thank You Doctor Fouad for replying to me so fast.
I forgot to mention that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a couple months ago. However this pain puzzles me because it's stabbing and constant as well as on both sides as I mentioned.
I do get reccurent bladder infections and go to a nephrologist every 6 months for routine check ups.
Many ultrasounds came back normal of my abdomen however one of them indicated many cysts on kidneys that is why I have a nephrologist and history of blood in urine.
I will be having follow up blood work and ultrasound to make comparisons three months from now.\
I do not know if I should wait this long or go and get re-evaluated sooner.
Otherwise all my blood work is normal.
Should I ask my family doctor for something else?
Thank You, and hoping to hear from you soon again.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:55 pm

User avatar Hello again,

Unfortunately, I am in no position to evaluate the severity of your symptoms. I would be inclined to advise you to seek medical attention sooner than your next appointment. If you are still experiencing pain you should continue to be evaluated by your physician until either a diagnosis is reached or at least the more serious causes are excluded (that would include renal disease).

Best regards.
 sweety - Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:02 pm

Thank You for the reply.
I'll go to the doctor this week.
 sweety - Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:55 pm

sweety wrote:Thank You for the reply.
I'll go to the doctor this week.

I have an upcoming appointment soon,but I was just wondering is it possible that these symptoms are irritable bowel syndrome since I also have fibromyalgia.,and if they are what can I do to prevent the ongoing pain/spasms.
Thank You.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here